Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does the BGE last?

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife asked me last night how long our egg should last! She doesn't know much about them and asked if we will have to replace it anytime soon! We would replace our gas grills every few years!

I told her I think forever (or at least a very long time) - maybe just a need to replace a part or two!

I know that some of you cook every day on your egg! Has anyone ever had to repace their due to everyday use?

or what is the life expectancy of an egg?

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    They come with a lifetime guarantee, so they last as long as you live and then a while.

Doug
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    lifetime warranty, so far ive had everypart replaced except the dome daisy and ceramic cap;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Even the BGE website says ceramic cookers are 3,001 years old. I read that last year, when it said they were 3,000 years old. That's good enough for me. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I've had one of my larges for well over 10 years (I lost track, but think I got it around 1998). It has received a great deal of use, and has traveled around the country to over 70 competitions. I can see it being around as long as I am.

Matter fact, just fixin to drive out to a competition in Maryland in a couple hours. Looks like we get to play with 135 teams! Anybody around Salisbury this weekend, the event is called Pork in the Park. Stop by and visit.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Nature Boy, you have a super fun job.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good luck Chris and have a great weekend. Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Essentially forever. People are still using 40 year old clay kamado-style cookers and the Eggs are made from much tougher material. Not to worry....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Longer than us :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• QCA Egger
    QCA Egger Posts: 34
    Options
    Still going strong with a few firebox replacements!
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    nm - posted in the wrong place.

If I am an "expert egger" how come I can't post in the right place? CRS syndrome.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    I have a medium that is/was my first egg and it is ceramic and was sold new around 1995/96. I found it after a neighbor put it out on the side of the road for trash. I now take that neighbor samples every so often as thanks. That neighbor had received the old egg when he purchased his home, he said after two years he hadn't used it so it needed to go.

I made a new stainless steel draft door at metal shop to replace the original draft door of painted rust before I knew that BGE made a replacement out of stainless. Also made a second draft door and traded it to a guy off of craigslist for a nest to fit the med egg. I changed the gasket, bought a thermometer and a daisywheel.

You may have to buy a few parts to replace as they wear out (gasket, thermometer, cooking grate) and you may have to get a firebox or fire-ring if they crack into too many pieces over time under warranty. And if something breaks that is your fault you may have to buy that, it is worth replacing.

And you will probably want to buy a 2nd egg so that you can cook different things at two different temps at the same time or so you could sear steaks and etc. with a mini or small to use less lump and to be able to fire up a mini/small faster than a large or XL. Or you may want a larger egg to be able to cook a bigger turkey like I did and/or to be able to entertain and feed more people at a time.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I bought my large in 1996 brand new for $399. It is 14 years old and going strong. How many gas grills would I have replaced in that amount of time? And at what cost?
    The only expense has been the 3 other eggs I have purchased!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    And then you use it as a perfectly good backup
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    Had mine for 15 years and still is like new. Replaced the band once. gasket several times. Thats it..
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    Had mine since June of, let me see....oh yea, 2009. Still going strong. :ohmy:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ribhead,

98 here as well. Still going strong.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    It's probably best to replace it every 2-3 years. They wear out quickly. I myself restore used eggs so you can sell me your large for about $200. I'll restore it and sell it for $250. Then you can buy a new one. :whistle: