Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Question

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I suppose it befalls everyone eventually. During a high temp pizza cook, I managed to nuke my gasket, so it's replacement time.

For installation, I plan on using Fred's method from Youtube - nomex, pre-shrunk, using 3M Super 77. As far as removal, I employed Grandpa Grub's suggestion of 91% alcohol instead of acetone.

Here are the results. The finish is now smooth, even though I have substantial amounts of black all the way around. My question is: have I removed enough to begin installing the new gasket? Thanks in advance.

DSC_3348.jpg

DSC_3349.jpg

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    BG - Looks good

Additional suggestion not on Fred's video which is well done BTW.

Spray the super 77 into a paper cup and apply with a brush to avoid overspray and make sure you keep the gasket flush with the ID of the dome and base - there will likely be a small (1/16") overhang to the outside of the Egg.

Looks like some alcohol dripped to the inside of the dome - will evaporate and burn off nicely.

Good luck with it.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    As long as you have rubbed the residue on the rim until
    the rag comes out clean, then you have removed all you can.

Good luck!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Options
    Post a photo of your new Nomex gasket installed
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Even easier...just lay the gasket on newspaper and spray it. Pick it up and put it on. Works fine.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Did my dad's the other day but used Acetone instead of alcohol Got it clean but there was a lot of the old tackyness from old gasket left and would not come off, since the tackyness was from old gasket, I just installed it over it.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    we have been using permatex ultra copper gasket adhesive on all of our new nomex gaskets. I have had that on my mini and my large for months working great along with many customers. I find it easier to deal with than the spray and it has BODY to it for more surface stickin than spray that you never know for sure.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with your gasket, does it leak?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241