Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling Grandpas Grub!!!

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chuck roast went well today at work. I cooked your chuck roast (5 pounder)as normal, but without the potatoes, celery, carrots. Then added them in the morning to the crock pot. I also used the broth from the cook to make the gravy last night. The only thing that I had to do was add more chicken and beef broth in the crock pot today. The chuck roast was eggcellent! Gravy was eggcellent! The veggies I added did not have time to fully cook. Only 4 hours in the crock pot on high. Potatoes and carrots were a little on the cruchy side, but still good. Better when I cooked them with the meat. I lost some flaver I think because I used most of the broth for the gravy the night before. But still good! I think if I was to do it again I would cook the potatoes, carrots with the meat for an hour or so to get the flavor from the meat. Pull them and add the 1/2 cooked items to the crock pot the next day. Still I had many compliments on the meat and the unbeleivable gravy this cook produces. Thanks for all of your help! You help make this a very fun cook, and everyone at my work enjoyed it.
Thanks again,
Scooby (Rich)

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Rich, I am glad it worked out well for you and appreciate reading the follow up.

You have me wondering how the flavor would change without using the veggies, something I need to try.

With your cook maybe you idea of adding the veggies to the meat 1/2 way through the egg part of the cook or even later on in the cook. I don't think potatoes add much to the cook, rather they take on the flavor. I think the onions add a lot of flavor. I am not sure about the carrots. I have wondered about celery but I am not sure if I want that flavor in the mix. Another thing to try.

Glad the folks like the food.

Kent
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Onions carots and celery = mir a poix, sometimes called aromatics. French markets of old used to give them away with each purchase since it was "just understood" that they were essential to any recipe.