Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution (Long)

Hoss's BBQ
Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to thank who ever first posted about this program. I had heard it was being filmed, when two of my chef friends in Wv went to an event hosted during the filming of the tv show. That episode has not aired yet. I watched the first three episodes on line on hulu sinced I had missed them when they aired. I just watched episode 4 and thought to myself this is brillant. Here is ABC showing a food program on their networks about trying to help people through education make smarter choices about how they eat to become healthier. If you get to watch some of the programs i found it amazing at what school lunch programs were like. (please note I have no children). I then switched to food network and there was a new show on about private chefs in beverly hills. It was about these chefs who cook special parties for clients in LA. Part of the show was about cooking for people's dogs. I could not believe that I had gone from a really great and inspiring program to the complete rubish on the other network. I know many of us have said we are tired of all the new food shows, yet I really do recomend watching Jamie Oliver's program. Thanks Hoss

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I respect your opinion Ken...and when I do watch it I will take a different perspective..or at best view it with an open mind....you gonna make Waldorf?
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    I can not make waldorf this year. The boss's daughter is getting married that weekend and I am doing the cooking. I never really cared for Jamie's other shows yet this one is really different. Try to catch them on line and watch in order. Hoss
  • I watched it tonight and I couldn't believe the over sized casket. I never really thought about what they did for people of that size you could have fit a family of four in it.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I watched him when he was the naked chef..and always thought he was cool..definatelty different..but he lived in a different part of the world..look forward to next time..best to ya..
  • Well said Kenny! I can't beliieve how many kids did not know what a tomato was. I do not have kids either, but we are planning to. The first thing of importance is health and learning how to fend for yourself.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    I just have to say, until this show started airing, I had never heard of him. But now I love him, I think he's absolutely brilliant...
    EXTREMELY friendly, kind, (even when he "argues" he's completely polite, and so obviously passionate about what he's doing....
    I'm definitely a huge fan of his, now, and totally support him. I certainly wish him the best of luck, in a world that seems ever increasing not caring about food or health.
    That over sized casket was certainly a jaw-dropper.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Primeggister1 wrote:
    Well said Kenny! I can't beliieve how many kids did not know what a tomato was. I do not have kids either, but we are planning to. The first thing of importance is health and learning how to fend for yourself.

But they all knew about ketchup! They could all recognize french fries, but not one out of fifteen kids could recognize a potato! A week later the teacher had taught the kindergardners how to recognize every vegetable. I have been watching and I think he is doing a good thing. Last night he had the mayor of the town, and Gov. of WV in the kitchen cooking healthy on woks. He really is having a positive impact all the way through that town.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I agree completely with you Ken. Food Network seems to have run it's course on shows that they create. It's all part of the great rush to the middle that is slowly happening all over the U.S.

Bring back the days of almost daily Public Television food shows. I'll take even the goofy Graham Kerr over any of the current EVOOers and adjective junkies. When they went to a live show and made Emeril start acting like a clown I think they jumped the shark. When they started making their own shows and creating "stars" it just bottomed out in my opinion. There are some good Chefs still involoved with Food Network but there are a lot more that just skipped being a Chef and went right to Chef star status.

I'd love to see a throw down with Bobby Flay and anyone from the Public Television shows. Heck I'd take any of the current Throw downs when he doesn't have his team figuring out how to cook everything.
  • New Orleans-based chef John Besh has two new shows coming out soon...one's on TLC, debuting this summer, called "Inedible to Incredible" or something like that, where people who are terrible cooks spend three or four days with the chef and he teaches them ways to improve their skills. The second, on PBS, will focus on Louisiana cuisine...check out his cookbook "My Louisiana" for examples of his cooking style. Should be a good show. We're fortunate here to still have lots of cooking shows on PBS...
  • I work in Huntington,WV and grew about a few miles away. I also never liked the Naked Chef show but this is really a good show. I missed the first one because I thought it would stink but my best buddies wife said it was great. Kristie was right and now I am hooked. I had never been out west till 2005 and could not believe how much thinner people in general were in Spokane,WA. WessB its nothing like his earlier shows. I am 5'10" and 150 lbs but thats because at I don't want to become a type 2 diabetic like my Dad and brothers who all did at about my age (52 yesterday). Don't know if he will help but obesity is epidemic here.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I watched the show once so far and loved it. He doesn't have to deal with our obsession with junk food but he does and he does it very well. I think he is right on with every issue concerning the foods we put into our bodies, not to mention 'force-feeding' junk food to our young people who don't have a clue as to what it is or what it will do to them.

Here's an interesting article about something going on in Houston schools.

By Gracie Cavnar on March 18, 2010

Students in the Houston Independent School District are planting, cooking and eating their way to a better understanding of where our food does, and should come from. According to Kate Link, Competitive Foods and Beverage Manager for the Healthy Schools Program, "Adding gardening to a school or afterschool curriculum provides a hands-on experience that could stir youths' interest in learning, encourage them to eat healthier foods and provide them opportunities to develop personal and social skills." To help them meet these goals for their students, the district partnered with the Recipe for Success Foundation which believes "that children need to learn that food doesn't grow in drive thru windows and plastic wrapping; and that a Twinkie is not a vegetable." The Recipe for Success Foundation works with schools, volunteers and professional chefs to deliver their Seed-to-Plate Nutrition Education™ program and have developed afterschool programs and summer camps to reinforce these important lessons.

(Recipe for Success Foundation is featured by Alliance for a Healthier Generation, a joint project of The Clinton Foundation and the American Heart Association to support best practices.)

It's good to see that the school district is taking the initive to teach about everyday life issues.

Spring "Gotta Geaux To McDonald's For A Big Breakfast" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • It's nice to hear from someone closer to the show's site. I have been wondering how the locals felt about the program...
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Tweeve,
    As someone who really likes and appreciates what Jamie is doing, I'm curious what his other/older shows were like?
    I'll do a bit of surfing later today to try and see.
    But in your opinion, what did you take away from them?
    Thanks...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    IMO, it came a little later than Emeril(though not a fan of his), but the shark has definately been jumped on FN. The Neely's were the final straw for me. Pat didn't even know how to chop an onion the first couple of shows.
    Alton Brown is the only one I enjoy watching.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Let's see where he goes with this. If he's just a healthy food evangelist, fine. If he gets impatient and starts begging the government to implement his agenda (like he did in the UK), I'll be back to say "I told you so."
  • What's interesting is that Jamie Oliver has done this before.

He did two TV shows in England similar to the one in West Virginia. They were both on TV here in Canada and are googleable. 'School Dinners" was very similar to the current program. The first show started with him trying to change the lunch offerings in a school in Greenwich. By the end of the series, he ended up meeting with the Prime Minister and ensuring a change in what is currently offered to British students. Google Turkey Twizzlers and Jamie Oliver to see what they got rid of.

The other program was 'Ministry of Food", which had him go to a community, Rotherham, in the North of England that appears similar to Huntington. He tried to teach people how to eat better and cook with some success.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Agreed Ken, I've been tivoing the show, he puts up with a lot of adversity. -RP
  • Bobby, the days of daily PBS food shows aren't over...at least not for me. It might be because I live in the "big city," but with the basic cable we buy, we get four or five PBS stations. One of the newer stations is called "Create" and shows four cooking episodes a day. Create channel features the DIY shows like painting, gardening, crafts, woodwork, and cooking. They cycle through the same dozen-or-so episodes throughout each day, and the food ones start at noon and at 6pm.

Regarding throwdowns of PBS personalities vs. FN personalities: The first season of Iron Chef America included battles of Ming Tsai vs. Bobby Flay and Rick Bayless vs. Bobby Flay. Tsai won, Bayless lost. Oh, and Jamie Oliver has faced off against Batali, and lost. (not that I believe that ICA is a fair or balanced evaluation of cooking skill ;) )