Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grandpas Grub chuck roast next day in crock pot???

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help, Grandpas Grub!,
I have done Grandpas Grub chuck roast and it is wonderful!!! My question to Grandpas Grub or anyone that has tried it. I want to egg the roast like normal, then put it all in a crock pot to bring to work for everyone for lunch. Will this work? Will the meat stay tender? Vegetables? I could make the gravy and nuke at work. Is it going to work? Or should I try a different cook? Any advice will help! Thanks!
Scooby

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I did GG's recipe in my DO, turned out amazing, had leftovers (only some ;) ) the next day and they were as good (almost) as the original day of cook. Veggies are a bit more mushier than original cook day, but that's expected with reheating food.

Really, leftovers are usually nuked and never as good as freshly cooked but all my BGE food smells blows away my fellow workers in the office during the week, for all the stuff I bring in for lunch. I always cook, on Sundays, a weeks worth of lunches, whatever it may be...chili, chicken, curry, stir fry, beef, pork, I'm constantly complimented on the amazing smells of the food.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The veggies in this cook will always be mushy and very tasty, that is intended. We do cook some fresh veggies & mashed or baked potatoes to go along with the dinner.

If one doesn't like the veggies then strain them and toss or even blend and use in another dish. There is a lot of flavor there.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

What do you mean cook the roast like normal?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I'll take a stab to see if I am on the right track.

If you follow the cook to heat and eat later I would do the cook until the meat is fork tender. Pull the meat out of the liquid and put in a zip lock or a click top container. Pull the veggies and put in a container and do the same with the liquid.

You are going to have to make a decision here... Make the gravy or when at work take all three container and heat up in the crock pot. You are going to need enough heat and time to get the meat hot once again. There will be the liquid and meat which will take the longest to warm up, the veggies can be nuked for a short time then put back in the liquid or just heated for serving. You might want to have some other veggies to serve along with the recipe veggies.

Another thought which works well is to do the second day crock pot cook and have some potato rolls, make the gravy thick and the meat/gravy on the rolls are to die for.

There is another cook that involves putting the well seasoned roast in a paper bag (I wrap in waxless butcher paper), BGE dome about 250° raised grid and let the roast cook until it becomes fall apart spoon tender.

This will taste as good as the first recipe and the meat is unbelievably tender. At some point in time I will do this method and get some seasonings, timings, heat and egg setup for a recipe as such.

This method works fantastic for Boston Butt also. I am not sure why but cooking in a 'paper bag' is really nice.

GG
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Cook the roast normal, I mean cook it the way you do in your recipe for the egg. I try it and it is great!
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    That sound very good! What if I was to cook the roast per you recipe without the vegetables. Then put the roast in the crock pot at work with fresh vegetables to cook for 4 hours? Would that make the vegetables cooked but not as mushy? Sounds like it maybe trial and error. What do you think? Or I may be better off with your potato rolls, making the gravy thick and the meat/gravy on the rolls are to die for. Man that sounds good also. Thanks for all of your advice!

Scooby the newbie
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have never added the veggies later on during the cook. The onions, carrots and spuds will finish (normal finish) at different times and I am guessing 1 to 2 hours for a firmer texture.

The veggies are part of the seasoning and overall flavor in that cook and in actuality they do over cook as such. But as you know they are good when done.

You would be experimenting, but you could use the original recipe and do the cook. Pull the veggies with a slotted spoon, and when you to the re-heat in the crock-pot about 30 min to an hour before finish put in new veggies. You would still have the original flavor and lesser cooked veggies that would still add to the cook. I have never tried this so it is something one would have to play with.

Even if you didn't use the veggies at all the roast is going to come out with great flavor. However, I would at least use the onions, personally, I think they add a lot. For me the carrots don't do much other than add color and the spuds soak up the goodness. Most folks like mashed potatoes so their texture doesn't make a huge difference. I call potatoes cooked like that trail spuds.

The smaller you cut the veggies the faster they will cook. Most of this is just thinking out loud.

Why not find a small roast and give what you are thinking a try. You might come up with a great twist on and a new recipe "Kicked Up Pot Roast" or something like that. That's part of the fun of egg'n.

GG
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks for all of your thoughts! I hope to do the cook tomorrow for a work get together at noon on Monday. I will try and let you know how it turns out. And you are correct, eggspermenting is part of the fun of eggin.

Thanks again for all you have done!

Scooby (Rich)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Rich, I would appreciate hearing how the cook and Monday eats turn out.

Just getting ready to put on a turkey breast and hunk of ham to smoke up for deli meat. Some for Eat'n and freez'n.

Here is how the ham looks after slicking.
    hamdelicut.jpg

Great sandwiches for a while.

Kent
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    That looks like it will make some great sandwiches! Thanks for the picture. Do you have a web site with your recipes? I have one more question, should I strain the broth from the Chuck Roast to make the gravy? I did the first time but not sure if I needed to or not?

Scooby (Rich)