Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Cleaning Eggcessories) Self Clean Oven

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For anyone who has not tried it. Place your (PLATESETTER) and (Pizza Stone) in a self cleaning over and turn the over to Self Clean. 4 hours later your gonna love the results! I know it's been posted but for the newbies its a great tip!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Why not just use the egg AS a self cleaning oven.

Put all your crap in and let it rip for an hour or two. Keeps all the smoke out of your house.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    You will find that as you do more and more cooks they get nicely seasoned. Not sure I would want to have to keep reasoning them?? my pizza stone is smooth and black almost like a cast iron griddle. and the plate setter just burns clean or scraps off any chunks.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    AMEN....or just cook a couple of pizzas..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Why do they need to be cleaned? High heat cooks will get off most of the crud. DO you put the dome and base in there too? ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    DO you put the dome and base in there too? ;)

That would fry the gaskets.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Would love to hear a newbie trying to explain that one to his dealer...LOL...But I read it on the forum..it's gotta be true........
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    So I tried cleaning my plate setter a couple of weeks ago. Set the oven on self clean, closed the door,turned the exhaust fans on high and all was fine for the 1st hour. Went to pick up dinner and got a call from my wife, she and the kids were calling from outside!!! The house filled up with smoke, set off the smoke detectors, and even with the doors and windows opened for several hours the house stunk for days! My daughter put on her smoke fighting outfit!
    taylorduringsmokeout1.jpg

So anyone thinking of doing this ask my wife Traci at the Gulfport Eggfest if this is a good idea!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL she is going to hate you for that pic in a few years!!! :P
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Great Pic She certainally looks ready to be a fire fighter
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, the OP's name DOES start with "Smokin........." :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut