Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Luv my new egg!

schmeetexschmeetex Posts: 69
edited 4:19PM in EggHead Forum
Fired up the egg tonight for a 7th cook in 9 days. Went for the simple ribeye steaks and after a couple of steaks & burgers last week with added spices one night and blue cheese another, I'm thinking that with the egg sometimes simple can be best.

$5 a pound steak on sale with sea salt and ground black pepper (the egg can make an inexpensive steak taste really good). VO Manhattan for the cook!

Ribeyesteak001.jpg

Got the egg to 650...2:30 on each side and then shut her down for additional 2:00 on side one. Put my wife's steak on the back of the grill as she prefers closer to medium well while I like mine medium. Turned out perfect with lots of flavor and juices.

Ribeyesteak002.jpg

Baked potato and corn on the cob completed the meal.

Ribeyesteak003.jpg

Had some cherry wood chips still unconsumed from Sunday rib cook, so added another handful and really enjoyed the flavor. Man this thing is good (BGE and the steak). It sure is good to be cooking over charcoal again!

SchmeeTex

Comments

• mnwalleyemnwalleye Posts: 226
    Looks good! Keep up the good work.
  • schmeetexschmeetex Posts: 69
    Thanks...but after looking at Gator Bait's lamb chops I sure feel like a rookie. Man those things look great! At least I'm getting a little practice loading pictures. :)
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Very nice!! Glad you and your wife are digging it!! Looks great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • op2kop2k Posts: 62
    Yowsa! The steaks look great, keep it up.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations and the food looks great.

If you haven't done so cook the spud and corn on the egg. Just as good as the steaks.

Corn at 400°
    corn1_400.jpg

chicken2plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

GG
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    VERY,VERY NICE! ;) Keep em commin! :)
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,238
    Nice looking bird. The metal probe on the left looks like an external temp unit, but what are the other two, tie downs?
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Yup, tie downs...

Plugs.

Wayne sent me some of his plugs to try out. When I test the temperature there are juices that drip out, hence I just use a plug to stop the loss of juices.

thideye's Probe Hole Plug

GG
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 10,246
    You learn quick, don't you... That's nice.

Are you coming to the Texas Eggfest in Austin on May 1st? Great way to meet some of your fellow Eggheads and learn a bunch of new recipes and cooking techniques.

Here's the link for info:

http://www.bbqoutfitters.com/-c-133.html

And if you want to see some of what went on last year click here and watch the videos.

http://texasspringchicken.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Hope to see you there.

Spring "Pack'n For Fest'n" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Judy's EggJudy's Egg Posts: 104
    Looks great. Try mesquite for your steaks some time.
  • pattikakepattikake Posts: 1,175
    Wow looking good, glad you are having so much fun with your egg. Welcome and glad you joined the forum. Thanks for sharing your cooks.

Patti