Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8lb boston butt bone in???

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
about to put on butt,1st one should i go 250,or 225deg? fat up or down?, raised grid or main grid w/plt setter? pull at 190-200deg,and do i have to foil at any time during the cook or just when i take it off? thanks for your help and advice..Peace...

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Go at 250* bge temp. I typically place the butt on the egg fat side down on the main grid with platesetter. No need to foil during the cook. You can foil it after you pull it if you need to hold for a little while until you serve it. I usually pull my butts around 200*. I did n=one last week that got hot on me by accident and went to 208, no problems with it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree with Gene. I do 250, don't really care if fat is up or down. Seems to turn out the same in the end.
    Great luck!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thanks crimsongator, i hope it turns out well. I guess it should be done tomorrow maybe around 2:00pm maybe.
  • 250* dome indirect (inverted plate setter will raise grid and allow room for a drip pan. I always trim and put fat down. Pull at 195* and wrap for couple hours before pulling pork.

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    How's the butt coming along at this point? Guessing it's running about 160f if you got it on around midnight.

I agreed with what everyone else said, especially about using a drip pan. And I only foil with they come off. Sounds like you have it under control. Rock on!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This