Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday cake? Anyone done one?

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done an actual Cake in the Egg? Would like to try one, unless someone tells me it will not work. Please respond good and bad. My Daughter is always making fun of my egg. So I told her I was going to do her Birthday cake on it. Too funny!

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Scooby:

We have done quite a few (can't find any posts at the moment)...the Egg is just an oven when used indirect so go for it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Does this count?

On the cooling rack here but cooked on the egg.

chocolatecake.jpg

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Sure can - I do chocolate cakes in a bundt pan all the time. Also make a delicious 2 layer carrot cake as well.

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

BTW my set up for that is this way:
    IMG_1825.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That looks fantastic.

Do you mind posting the recipe?

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    It's Q-Babes Sinfully Good Carrot Cake - I just checked the archives and once again Richard raced to the rescue with his massive recipe file!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=307002
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks, your pictures do the cook proud.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks! One little hint that works for me with that cake after 2 diasters...the raisins tend to sink to the bottom and therefore burn. To help keep them more suspended I coat them in flour by placing them in a bag and shaking. It's a pain, but it's better than going to all that effort (and expense to be honest) just to find the bottom burnt to a blackened mess. At that point only the top 2/3 is salvagable and forget trying to frost it! Good luck - but it really is delicious and you'll be proud of yourself when you succeed!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Great tip, I had a real problem with raisins when putting them into the friendship bread. Bet that would have worked there too.

GG
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. I plan on doing the cake tomorrow or Sunday. I also plan on doing Gramdpas Grubs Chuck eye Roast in a DO this weekend also. Looking forward to it!
    Thanks again
    Scooby
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Options
    Looks great. Something new to try.
  • RRP
    Options
    If you haven't baked a Triple Chocolate Cake yet on your BGE then you're cheating your loved ones! :laugh:
    IMG_1247.jpg
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    That Triple Chocolate Cake looks very good! How do you make it? Do you have your famous recipe? Would love to try it!
    Thanks in advance
    Scooby!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You will enjoy the cook. Great eats.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    gosh no! I'm off to bed - if some one hasn't posted it by morning I SURE will!
  • RRP
    Options
    It's not my recipe, but here it is as promised. BTW for that one pictured I just dusted it with powdered sugar - only problem is the white doesn't last long.

Triple Chocolate and Kahlua Cake

Source: Derived from a post by egger Tammy Jacques a.k.a. Mrs. Squeeze

1 box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate cake mix (forget the ingredients the box calls for - all you want is the mix)
    1 4oz package if Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding
    6 oz chocolate chips
    1 pint of sour cream
    3/4 cup veggie oil
    4 eggs (yolks + whites)
    1/3 cup Kahlua

Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs.

Stabilize fire at 350 and make sure there is no smoke - this may take extra time but you really need the 350 stability plus the smoke free fire.

Mix all the ingredients well with a mixer as the batter is very thick!

Spray bundt pan with a baker's spray like Baker's Secret or Bake Ease even if your bundt pan is Teflon coated.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes and test with a toothpick. I've baked this several times now and it takes me 60 to 63 minutes before the toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from BGE and let the cake settle and cool still in the bundt pan for at least 15 minutes - flip and it should fall out with ease. Let it cool longer yet - if you can at all so it will firm up...especially since the chocolate chips are still gooey at that warm stage! Suit yourself about an icing, but I like to let this cake speak for itself!

By the nature of the ingredients it is an extremely moist cake. BTW I think the cake is far better the next day and it really keeps quite well just covered on the counter! I hope yours comes out as well!
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thank you RRP, for all of your help.

Scooby