Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak sandwiches

Options
Lothar
Lothar Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I have been on a kick lately of making steak sandwiches on my egg. I took advantage of a trick that I saw on Good Eats.

I use flank steak seasoned with fajita seasoning. Obviously, season with whatever you want.

I get the egg heated as hot as I can with the lid up and the vent wide open. When lump is red/white hot, toss the flank steak directly on the lump and close the lid.

Sear on the first side for 1-2 minutes, then flip over and sear side 2 for another 1-2 minutes.

Pull steak from the egg, put the grill grid back on the egg and close the vents down to keep the lump from getting red/white hot again. I slice hoagie buns and toast them on the egg while the meat rests. Note - if the grill is still piping hot, it won't take long to toast the buns.

While the steak is resting (it needs to rest for a good 5-10 minutes before slicing), I saute some sliced red onions in a little butter on the stove.

I then slice the steak as thin as I can across the grain (absolutely critical) and on the bias (not so critical). Depending on how thick the steak was, it may be a perfect medium or medium rare. If the steak is not done enough for your taste, you can toss the strips in with the onions to finish cooking.

Top the toasted buns with steak and onions and provolone cheese. Yum!

Comments

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    did I read that correctly, you said you toss the steak directly on the lump??
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    works really good with flank steaks and butteflied lamb, especially lamb ;) hit the lump when redhot and the ash falls off, then add your meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    This was from 2005....people been doin it for a long time...
    bq4.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michael,

Do a forum search on caveman and you'll see some pics.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I gotta give this a try.... :)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I was at a mexican restaurant in the area a few years ago and my fajitas came out with some flecks of ash/coal on them...I knew right away how that had happened. Caveman fajitas.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is FlaPoolMan's method. Less expensive cut of meat and eggcelent.

Sandwich, Beef, Philly Cheese Steak, FlaPoolman

Procedure:
    1 Started with 2 1/2 pound top sirloin rubbed and cooked direct to 100 internal.
    2 Placed in freezer for 2 hours before running thru the slicer. Then sealed with 1/4 cup of chicken broth and back in the fridge for 1 more day.
    3 Precooked some onions & mushrooms in EVOO. Cheated on the last part as the winds were high but real easy egged or stovetop. Start the onions & mushrooms in a pan for about 2 min. then the meat for another min. at high heat. Add 3 slices of provolone per sandwich (for a twist that I really like add a little ketchup while still cooking as that's how we used to have them as a kid last year
    4 Toast the roll for less messy or just enjoy.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/03/08
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    You got it sooner. Definately not a "new" technique. Most people would think that the meat would get burned to a crisp but the meat actually prevents the lump underneath it from getting a good air supply so it doesn't flare up at all. I would suggest, however, of either telling your wife your plans ahead of time so she doesn't think you are nuts when she sees her steak directly on the lump or if she is skittish about ash in her food, don't tell her ahead of time or let her see you doing it. After she tastes how great the steak is, then you can let the cat out of the bag. (There will be very little, if any ash on the meat when done - especially if you do as someone above suggested and knock the hot lump around a little to shake the ash loose before adding the meat.

Also, not that anyone on here would do it but this should NOT be done with either charcoal briquettes or wood. Both products ash way more than lump.