Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket ready to go--tips?

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my hunka man managed to get the Egg open. Then we spent 1 1/2 hours cleaning gaskets as he softly chanted "Don't ever do this again." :blush: A call to the dealer found he had the Nomex gaskets in stock. He suggested running the new gasket through the dryer for 45-60 minutes to take care of any shrinkage :whistle: He also said to use a Scotch Brite pad and acetone to get rid of any residual glue. Does anyone else have any tricks of the trade that will help make the putting on of the gaskets a bonding experience? :laugh:

Comments

• Ms.
    Ms. Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the same boat (except my egg didn't close shut), and here is what Debbie, the nice lady from BGE Canada, sent me yesterday:

1. Remove the dome from the egg to provide easy access to the gasket on both the top and bottom.

2. Pour acetone on both the top and bottom gasket and let set for a few minutes to free the adhesion from the ceramics. Do not substitute acetone with any other type of cleaner such as goo gone etc. After a few minutes the gasket should come off with little to no resistance.
    3. Remove any remaining adhesive with acetone and a cloth. Do not sand or scrape any ceramic of the egg.

4. You will then want to apply a high temp silicone product, which is a high heat adhesive available at your local hardware store, apply to the rim of the top and bottom where the gasket will be applied, just apply a small amount with the tip of your finger wearing a rubber glove and rub around edge.

5. Apply the new gasket. Being careful not to pull/stretch as it is being applied. Do over lap the felt on the top then the bottom, being careful not to place the overlaps over each other when dome is replaced. The over lap parts should be offset by no less then 10 inches.

6. Replace the top to the bottom and retighten the band.

7. Let sit for at least 24 hrs before use. (In damp or cold let set longer)

8. The first four or five cooks keep the temperature moderate not exceeding 400 degrees.

She didn't say anything about putting it in the dryer, thoug... :blink:
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would recommend you use high temp silicone to attach it to the egg. The silicone can be purchased at any auto supply company. In my experiences, the silicone is superior to the 3M Super 77 adhesive.
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    How long should you let the 77 sit before applying the gasket?