Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Roundman
Roundman Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchase the 14 inch BGE pizza stone tonight. How big of a pizza can I make on it. Do I leave about an inch around the edge? Is it best to make thin crust pizza?

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Well, 16" doesn't work very well! ;)[p]I actually go pretty much to the edge with mine, even having some hang over on occasion since I eyeball the size. Yeah, that crust get toasty or burnt but ya just rip it off when ya serve it. Actually, I've been thinking of breaking down and getting the pizza screen so I can make the crusts the right size, more consistently. [p]I prefer my crust a little thicker. I'm still learning how to make the crust "done" when the topping is. The screen should help this too.[p]Good luck.
  • Roundman
    Roundman Posts: 43
    Options
    Pakak,
    Does your crust finish before the topping or the topping before the crust. How long do you cook your pizza.

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    A pizza screen will make a big difference. It makes the crust even out in the cooking process a lot quicker and more even. Get two or three as you can make several pizza's and keep them coming like a pizza joint.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Roundman,
    I use a 16" stone and make 14" pies. I've found 550 degrees with a 30 minute preheat works best for the pies that I bake. Here is a link to my pizza hint and tips page.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Just what I need to know and learn about the stone from your "Pizza Hints And Tips"! I got you about the "Dog" as our dog watches us too!

• Bluegillman
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Woodworking? That's my hobbie too! What did ya make?