Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made pastrami and it was wonderful. I'm absolutely going to do this again. I used the directions from Thirdeye.

I soaked the corned beef brisket in water for 2 days changing the water every 12 hours. Here is the corned beef after applying the rub.
P1020900.jpg

Here it is after smoking for 5 hours.
P1020901.jpg

I wrapped it, let it rest for an hour in a cooler and then sliced it.
P1020903.jpg
This was very tender and made great Reuben sandwiches.
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    That's something I have still never done. I really want to try it. Yours looks great.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Very nice! Between you and Serial Griller, I think I gotta do this cook!
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    BeerMike wrote:
    This was very tender and made great Rubin sandwiches.

Really? It made great sandwiches? =)

I don't think you needed to say that, the beef looks like an 11 out of 10.
  • sireggsalot
    Options
    Sweeeet, It's five o'clock somewhere.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Mike your pasrami looks great.I love that peppery crust when it's thinly sliced.
    It's mandatory to serve with a cold brewski.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That looks perfect! I smoked one last weekend two and had my very first Reuben ever (I've always been a wimp on the sauerkraut).

Here's the rub I used and I'll definitely use it again.

Pastrami Rub
    Source Derrick Riches

4 tablespoons kosher salt
    4 tablespoons paprika
    3 tablespoons coriander seeds
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons black peppercorns
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
    1 tablespoon white peppercorns
    8 cloves garlic, minced

Combine coriander seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a spice grinder. Grind coarsely. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub is now ready to use. It may be stored, refrigerated in an airtight container.

I hated that it took so long for me to try a Reuben, because they are excellent!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks GREAT!! I never was a big corned beef fan, but I LOVE a good pastrami!!!

It's interesting that all of the pics I've seen here lately, the meat seems very lean. Whenever I buy pastrami from my local deli, the meat always seems to have quite a bit more fat.

I'm afraid to try pastrami though. If I do, I'm sure I will be tempted to buy a SLICER - for that paper thin stuff! :) See what I mean about the fat?

Maxpastramiwb.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That's a pretty rub, Mike, and a great cook. Can I ask what temp you smoked at and when you pulled it?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Wait...is that yours, or just a pic you found (you said you hadn't done it yet)? If it's yours, I think we have a winner!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Like I said, I'm afraid to try it cuz I don't want to buy a slicer... also cuz I'm afraid it won't look like either that or Mike's!! The sandwich pic is "borrowed". I think it's from some deli in Chicago. Sorry if I mislead - Bacchus yells at me all the time for doing that. :blush:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BeerMike
    Options
    Grid temp of 250° and pulled it at 170°. Wrapped in aluminum foil, then a towel and rested it in a cooler for an hour. I wish I would have taken the temp after the rest.

The St. Patrick's Day "left over" corned beef at the grocery store should be on sale this week. I'm going to pick up several.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Get the slicer, how else are you gonna get that bacon you're curing cut nice and even? :woohoo:

And trust me, as much as brisket hates me, if I can make a good, B+ pastrami on the first outing, anyone can.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, Mike and again, nice work.
  • BeerMike
    Options
    Thanks... That was my first attempt and there will be a lot more to follow. This reminded me a lot of my late mother because she loved Reubens. It was an emotional cook. Great memories are held forever!

I'm going to grab another beer!

Cheers,

BeerMike
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I'm not curing bacon. You must be thinking of someone else. :) But I have heard that you can buy that stuff in the grocery store - nice neat 1 lb packages, already sliced!! It's the coolest thing!! :lol:

I hear ya on the brisket thing though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    There are two kinds of people: those who have cured their own bacon, and those who will. Or maybe you don't really love the missus enough.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    hmmmm, wonder if there's enough time before Austin ????
    looks mighty fine, Beer Mike B)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) an eggcellent knife and a steady hand work well, too :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Maybe THAT'S what I did wrong! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut