Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Tenderloins

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never even considered cooking these.........to be honest, for some reason I have never even seen someone cook just a tenderloin, so the thought has never crossed my mind. I LOVE turkey, and I really love turkey sandwiches, lol. Anyway, I was at my grandmothers the other night and she was fixing to cook some.......then I came back the next day and sampled the leftovers.......YUM. So it got me to thinking that it would be nice to do a tenderloin every few weeks for a change of pace or just for sandwich meat. I do turkey burgers and have smoked whole turkeys, but obviously I have never done just a tenderloin.......has anyone else? I would think it would be wonderful on the egg, but I am a little worried about over-cooking it.

I searched the forum and only found one post about Turkey Tenderloins and it was a recipe for one, but not just a general post on smoking one, and what the pros vs cons are to doing one vs a whole turkey.

Any insight would be appreciated!!

And hey, if all else in the world fails........at least we will always have free healthcare! :whistle:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    They are eggcelent.

Turkey, Breast, Tenderloins, Blueberry, Chutney, Jenny-O, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lemon garlic turkey breast tenderloins (30 ounces/package of 2 ), Jenny-O
    1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    Sauce
    1 cup fresh blueberries (rinsed)
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup mango chutney
    1 Tbs Dijon mustard
    1-2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
    1 Tbs jalapeño pepper jelly

Original Recipe
    1 Preheat grill on medium-high. Cut tenderloins diagonally, across length, into about eight 1-inch-thick slices (medallion cut). Drizzle oil over both sides of slices. Wash hands.
    2 Place turkey on grill, using tongs; close lid (or cover with foil). Grill 5–6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 170°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)
    3 While turkey grills, place remaining ingredients in small saucepan on medium-high. Cook 8–10 minutes, whisking often, until blueberries break up and flavors are well blended. Serve sauce over turkey.
    BGE Variation
    1 The above recipe was the original, however for Father's Day, 2006/06/18, I modified it to a BGE on my small, Did the whole tenderloin without cutting into pieces. indirect, got BGE to 300°F added 3-4 pieces of applewood and placed the tenderloin on until internal reached 155°F, about 45-60 minutes.
    2 For sides had some vidalia onions sliced 1/2 inch thick and some portobello mushrooms cut 3/4 inch thick and marinated both in Italian salad dressing for 15 minutes and then just placed on the side of the breasts until they were done, about 45 minutes.

Recipe Type
    Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Publix Super Markets

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/06/18
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    damn i miss living cookbook :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb