Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spin's defrost method??

RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spin, if you are out there, what is your "cold-smoke" method for defrosting beef (steaks) ??? I hate it when I have to wait for a long defrost for a steak that I forgot to defrost!!
Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RLA,
    I have used that method. Works best when it is frozen just on the outside, but I have done it with a partially thawed steak. Thaw it a bit in lukewarm, water (in bag). When it is nearly tawed, but still a bit hard in the center, get a small group of coals going on top of your pile, put in a chunk or two (mesquite wood chunks are especially nice), and close your vents down to a crack. Put the steak on (not directly over the coals....off to the side) and smoke heavily for a half hour or more. Don't let temp get over 200.[p]Remove smoked/thawed steak, apply rub or mustard and rub, and bring humpty to searing temps and cook as you normally would.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Thank you, sir.[p]Spin