Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spin's defrost method??

RLARLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spin, if you are out there, what is your "cold-smoke" method for defrosting beef (steaks) ??? I hate it when I have to wait for a long defrost for a steak that I forgot to defrost!!
Bob

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,244
    RLA,
    I have used that method. Works best when it is frozen just on the outside, but I have done it with a partially thawed steak. Thaw it a bit in lukewarm, water (in bag). When it is nearly tawed, but still a bit hard in the center, get a small group of coals going on top of your pile, put in a chunk or two (mesquite wood chunks are especially nice), and close your vents down to a crack. Put the steak on (not directly over the coals....off to the side) and smoke heavily for a half hour or more. Don't let temp get over 200.[p]Remove smoked/thawed steak, apply rub or mustard and rub, and bring humpty to searing temps and cook as you normally would.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Thank you, sir.[p]Spin