Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts and Brisket

Options
Turkeyspurs
Turkeyspurs Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my guru for a couple of weeks. My first brisket was perfect. Now I want to cook two butts and one brisket at the same time. Was wondering how to set up so they would come off around the same time. Butts over brisket?, I know the brisket should cook a little faster so should the brisket be larger lb wise. Thanks in advance, Trey

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Turkeyspurs, seems natural to put the more fatty butts over the brikets...however I thought I could detect that the briket took on too much pork flavor that way, so I have only done it once...what I have done since though, is a very large beef chuck or pot roast and had pulled beef and pulled pork. It turned out great, so much so that my crowd said they didn't know which they liked the most.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Turkeyspurs,[p]I do 2 butts over a big brisket quite often with great results. I only do whole briskes so I think there is enough fat that I don't get the pork flavor that chet talks about. The brisket and butts are usually done at about the same time but I do a 13-15 lb brisket with two 7-8 lb butts. The setup pictured is inverted plate setter, drip pan, cooking grid with brisket on it and the butts on the grid extender.[p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chuck, I don't really think it's that big a deal one way or the other and I seem to always have some of both on hand via the foodsaver thing...but I would be interested, especially after seeing your pics, how you feel about the fat on the brisket...I would be interested to know if I'm doing the fat part very much different from everyone else. I trim nearly every bit of the fat off both sides and even the in between part, in fact by the time I'm done the brisket is nearly in two peices but I go ahead and leave it together for the cook. I guess I got started doing that because some advise on that shiny membrane making meat tuff. Anyhow I don't do any briskets that are not very good, "funny how everybody on here's stuff is always good-ain't it". I might have to do one and leave that on to see for myself what difference it makes.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Chet,
    I too like to keep some frozen in Foodsaver bags, it just never seems to stay around too long. I leave almost all the fat on. I may trim some really thick spots, and one side is fairly fat free. If you trim all the fat off does it get dry? Also, maybe that is why it soaks up the pork flavor from the drippings. Sometimes I then trim the point off and cook that more as Nature Boy explained well in the "Brisket enlightenment" post above. [p]I am by no means a brisket expert, but the way I have been doing them seems to give good results. [p]Chuck