Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Need help from my Floridian friends

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's a little slow on the forum today, so I will ask now. When we were leaving Melbourne Beach Saturday evening after the fest, we(my wife)got a speeding ticket for $134. for going 34 in a 25mph zone. We explained we were from out of town, etc., but the cop was a real prick :angry: and stuck us anyway. Now we are getting postcards, etc. in the mail at home for online "schools/classes" that these postcards imply will keep you from getting points against your license from the ticket. Could someone tell me what's up with that. In PA, you get a ticket, you get points; period.
I don't know what to think. :huh:

TIA,

Mark

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I believe Florida is similar to Texas.
    In Texas you can either pay the ticket or go to court to plea. The other options are to take an approved driving class(normally 8 hours) to exponge the ticket. You still have to pay all the court costs so it is not a money saving thing. All the courts want is your money. We can now do this once a year in most cases. The other option here is deferred judification (fancy name for probation). All the court fines still need to be payed but if you keep your record cleaf for the probation term, mine was 6 months they trash the ticket.
    For the options you do need to sign up and pay at the court house in this area before you take the class.
    Just call the number and talk with them. Most of the time they are very nice. The cop was just making his numbers.
    Good luck,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I lived in Melbourne Beach for 15 years, moved in '02 and the town has a reputation for raising revenue through the traffic courts to keep the property taxes down.
    The lawyers go to the public records and mail anyone who got a traffic ticket no matter the cause.
    I gather from your PA comment you live there or out of state.
    If you have a Florida DL there is a method to reduce points on line, but not sure of the details. Try Fl DMV if you live out of the state, a lawyer friend just told me to pay the fine and ignore all the unsolicited junk mail.. Sorry.

http://www.melbournebeachfl.org/Pages/MelbourneBeachFL_Police/faqs#citations
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I gather from your PA comment you live there or out of state.

Ummm, yes Richard, we live in PA. I have that info in my signature just like you. :whistle:

Thanks for the information just the same.

PS. The "olives" you served at the fest have left a lasting impression on me and my palate. :sick: haha
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Thanks Darian. Her ticket will probably only be 2 points, so we probably won't persue any online courses and we've already paid the fine, so........... My wife was lucky she didn't get in trouble for anything else; she was really giving the cop a bad time about giving her a ticket for 34mph. The only reason she was driving is because I'd had a couple of drinks after the fest ended and shortly before we left. She was NOT a happy camper. :pinch:
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    So sorry.
    Man I feel for you on the ride home...
    My brother is a lawyer her in Houston and he said to always spend a dime and call the phone number on the ticket and talk to one of the clerks. Most are real nice and just flat out ask for any help or sugestions.
    They do know the tricks and ways to help when distance is an issue.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i got a ticket in brasselton georgia. one time (they are north of atlanta and are known for writing tickets) but back to my story the police man told me that the state of georgia does not report it unless it is for 17 mph over the limit.

also if it is a town type of ticket here is a easy way to not have it show on your license:: mail the money to them, add two or three dolars to the check. they will have to send you a check for the overture. shredd it then the ticket is paid but they cannot apply the points until you cash the check it is three dollars never cash the check.. this has worked for me when i get a town ticket. if it is a state trooper they do not take the check they will send it back my brother found this out the hard way.. just make sure to send the money early in case they don't take it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I have seen this on other forums in the past about over payment holding up the processing. Hope never to try but it's always in the back of my mind.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I've heard the same thing on overpaying a ticket, but haven't tried it. I'm still in shock for a $134 ticket for 9 miles over. I just got a ticket (in Iowa) two weeks ago for 18 over, and its only $89.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Yea, it seems like prices are just made up to reach goals for the month.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Do not pass Go!
    Do not collect $200!
    Go Directly to jail!

You bad bad boy!

$130+ for 9 over? Geez and I thought Canuck laws were tough. I must remember to go low/slow when next in FLA.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Can't read very well today, just got back from the eye Dr. Glad you liked the olives. Did you hang around for the martinis to go with them in the afterparty?

Glad you all are enjoying, now help get some new members to the martini bar.

MONIN is a very concentrated syrup made in the Clearwater area.

http://moninstore.com/

Regular pomegranate juice and health food drinks do not do the martini justice. We keep the Vodka in the freezer and the Monin in the frig.

This recipe was first introduced to us in Carrabbas 2006 the week before Xmas. Not being a martini drinker had to try one. They are now our go to cocktail for quiet evenings and dinner parties. Hope you enjoy.

Beverage, Vodka, Martini, Pomegranate, Carrabba's

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Ozs. Vodka, Peach, Absolute
    2 Ozs. Orange Juice, Fresh
    3/4 Oz. Pomegranate Mix, MONIN, Clearwater, FL
    Splash Sprite
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Mark. I have taken those courses to reduce points on my license, but I have no idea if it works from out of state. I got a $150 speeding ticket while in Vermont and didn't receive any of those postcards. I never checked to see how many points I got.

I guess it's cruise control for you for awhile!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini