Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Shrimp and Grouper - Need Serving Suggestions

Smoked SignalsSmoked Signals Posts: 505
edited 6:47PM in EggHead Forum
My father-in-law, who bought me my egg for Christmas, is coming up to visit from FLA on Friday. He is bringing very fresh large shrimp and several lbs of grouper. Any suggestions on how to wow him? I plan on cooking some Q but need some help with the seafood. I don't think I have time to buy any special rubs ... though I could probably throw something together. Hopefully he is bringing a trunk full of pecan wood as well. (smile)[p]Lets here from the coastal collective.[p]Thanks,
Doug

Comments

• WardsterWardster Posts: 1,006
    Smoked Signals,
    It's pretty much impossible to screw up Grouper, IMO.
    You can use anything...
    I like to marinade in butter, garlic, cilantro and lime juice, then pour this mixture over it when done.[p]Good stuff... I'm jealous...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Smoked Signals,[p]don't know about grouper, but here is an idea for your shrimp. ..[p]peel em. .
    stick em on skewers, alternating chunks of pineapple and red peppers (great color presentation). . .sprinkle some old bay seasoning (you can buy it at the grocery) and some dizzy tsunami spin or jamaican firewalk (if you like spicey). . . take the pinapple juice from the can, mix in a little honey, a little soy sauce, and some of whatever spices you sprinkled on the shrimp mix it up to make a nice glaze. . .throw the skewers on the egg on a direct grid at around 400 degrees dome temp. . .turn them after about 2 minutes (maybe 3 depending on how big the shrimp are). . .brush on some of the glaze. . .turn again after another 2 - 3 minutes and brush them again. . .give them about 2 more minutes and pull em. . .real easy and real tasty. . .the total time is really dependent on how big the shrimp are. . .better to be a tad undercooked than overcooked and hard. . .

• Wardster,
    I thought about doing something simple with the grouper ... as you suggest. [p]What temperature? [p]Do you coat your grill or fish with anything to prevent sticking ... mine is really coated in a thick layer of bbq stuff. Probably need to burn or clean that off.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Kabobs... mmmmm. Good call. Maybe some mango too.

• Smokin JoeSmokin Joe Posts: 441
    Smoked Signals,
    I cooked crab stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon once (recipie from this forum - but can't find the dang thing now). It was great! Can anyone chime in with the recipie Joe?

• This is what I do for Red Snapper, trigger fish, grouper, scamp....pretty much any bottom dwelling fish.[p]Take fillet coat with olive oil. Toss on some sea salt, Greek seasonings and thin-sliced lemons. Let it stand five or so minutes. I usually treat it as a grill. The dome temp is 325. Use pecan wood, it tastes best. When the fish is firming up and turning white, flip. Toss the lemons on the coals. ENJOY![p]If you want to get fancy yet easy this is what I cook. ( you'll need a pan that can fit on top of your fire ring.) I use a small caphalon everyday pan.
    Buy prepackage crab meat. (Bread crump based) Add gralic, lemon juice, oregano to the crab meat and mix. Make palm sizes balls with crab meat. Cover with fillets. Cook on egg at 325. Again I'm not really sure of times to bake. I've only cooked this way a few times. Each time it was fantastic! Try it![p]As far as the shrimp throw it grill wok. Coat them in your favorite spice and dip in butter!!