Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Looking for a pork butt that rocks

edited 4:02PM in EggHead Forum
Did a 6.45 pork butt this past weekend with my favorite rub and this one really sucked. I mean REALLY. No taste at all. I don't think if I covered it in sauce if would chank it at all. Can anyone help me on this. Seemed a waste of time and meat. (frown on my face)

Comments

• My post should read....change it at all.

• WardsterWardster Posts: 957
    barbqr,
    I always follow Edler Ward's recipe. You can find it off the Recipe link on the home page. I use his rub and sauce.... always a winner!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,406
    barbqr,
    Have you tried injecting? Lots of cool liquids can be pumped inside to enhance the flavor. Also, when you are pulling it try and get little pieces of the bark spread throughout so that with nearly every bite you get a taste of the flavorful bark you worked so hard on.[p]For a good bark make sure your rub has a pretty fair sugar content, and good fresh spices.
    Keep pluggin...butts (shoulders) are certainly worthy!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    Nature Boy,[p]How bout a recipe for injection?

• barbqr, come again??? I'm trying to combine this part with the first part???

• RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    barbqr,
    I agree with Wardster… EW’s Recipe produces consistently great results. For another option, get a Boston Butt put some wet Jerk Rub on it and let it sit for two days before smoking. Believe me, you will get tons of flavor.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Smokin JoeSmokin Joe Posts: 441
    barbqr,
    Maybe it wasn't your technique at all, you might have run into a bummer of a swine??? Keep smokin! Joe

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    barbqr:[p]Did you cook this butt direct or indirect? Did you use any dry chunks of wood for smoke?
    [/b]
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    barbqr,[p]Had nothing to do with the rub. Good Q needs neither sauce nor rub. They are just additions according to individual taste.[p]My guess is smoke, or cooking technique could use tweaking.