Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Hamburger Buns!

Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to try and make my own hamburger buns. Great success! Will definitely make them again.

IMGP0687.jpg

IMGP0688.jpg

IMGP0690.jpg

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    I think I'm in love with you.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I like that idea, they look perfect! Want to share the rcipe? Thanks for the post.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • skyhopsing
    skyhopsing Posts: 107
    looks great whats the recipe!
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    That is sooooo Awesome. Any special recipe?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Somebody's gotta say it.....NICE BUNS!!! :woohoo: :) :laugh:
  • Di
    To quote Lawn Ranger.............I think I'm in love with you! :laugh:
  • Di
    :blush:

They were awesome! Recipe is coming in another post if you want to try them.
  • Di
    Here's the recipe:

Homemade Hamburger Buns:

2 ¾ c. flour
    ½ c. milk
    ½ c. water
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tsp sugar
    ¾ tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 package yeast
    1 tbsp olive oil

Egg wash: egg yolk and tsp water

Combine the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm.

In bowl of stand mixer, using dough hook, combine the flour and yeast. When the milk mixture has cooled, add to flour and stir until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Knead for about 10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl with olive oil. Turn dough to coat with oil, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down the dough and divide into 4 or 6 even portions. Large hamburgers will be 4 portions. Make balls out of the dough by pulling the dough towards the bottom and tucking under so that you have a smooth top. Place seam-side down on cookie sheet or parchment lined pizza stone. Allow the rolls to sit for a few minutes. Flatten each dough ball with your hand or a dough cutter. Cover with towel and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes.

Brush tops with egg wash and bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

--adapted from a couple of recipes on the web
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thank you!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Thank You.
    I'll bet that will make good Brat Buns too if ya stretch them out a little....... Am I allowed to say that?
  • Di
    I thought the same thing!
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Great job. I have done them and hot dog buns using the dough cycle on the bread machine. They look yummy. So do the burgers.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Very nice! I wish I could eat the carbs, I would make some.

Gator

• Thanks for the recipe Di

Ross
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hye Di,

Wow! Lookin' good! Thanks for sharing.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Those are some seriously good looking hamburger rolls!!
    Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely saving that recipe and am eager to try...

(Pssst! I'd looooove to see some hotdog rolls someday...) :)
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Hey Di, I made this recipe yesterday; they were fantastic. You have finally given me a recipe I really like for hamburger rolls. My only complaint: I divided the dough into six parts, and the rolls were humongous. In the future I'll divide into 8 parts, or maybe even 10 or 12 parts for some smaller rolls.

Uglydog