Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surface Materials for Egg Tables?

Options
EasternEgger
EasternEgger Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many design ideas for the table itself, but very liitle input on table top materials. Does anyone have a favorite surface material that they have used. I made one using a butcher block counter top, which was great for obvious reasons. It only lasted 1 year. Split and cracked.. even after using a food grade oil type sealer..
Would like a surface that does not need to be covered when not in use. Any ideas?

K. Magill
Eastern Egger
Since 2000

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    EASTERNEGGER,
    I used porcelain tile on mine because the tile guy said it’s harder and can withstand both freezing weather and hot plates. He said regular ceramic tile is more prone to cracking under those conditions.[p]Plain wood is easy but takes a beating in this Texas sun. It also tends to soak up spills and becomes unsightly after a while.[p]Stainless steel is good but doesn’t have much of a personality.[p]A lot depends on what kind of base you are building and where it will be housed when not in use.[p]You’ll get lots of good replies. Just wait.[p]Good luck[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I just used a nice sheet of plywood and finished it with several coats of spar varnish. The spar varnish works but seems soft. I would probably go with one of the urathanes if I did it again.[p]Toy Man
  • Chrispy Bob
    Options
    EASTERNEGGER, I used regular ceramic floor tiles and sealed the grout lines with silicone. Very easy to clean up. Check out the tables section of The Naked Whiz's web site. He has a pics of a bunch of tables with different top coverings.[p]CB
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    EASTERNEGGER, I had a piece(actually two) of tempered glass made for mine. Works well and is easy to clean.

• BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    Options
    EASTERNEGGER,[p]I used a piece of granite that was cut out of a counter top for a cook top. It is indestructible and seamless, I don't cover my egg table and the granite just sits on top. When I cook I just spray a little windex on it and its good to go.[p]