Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wild Hog

Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
edited 8:28AM in EggHead Forum
I've been offered a 17-20 lb ham from a wild pig (sow).
My question is, can I cook it like a boston butt? Should it be brined and, if so, for how long? What is the recipe for the brine? It has been bled in ice water and now it is frozen. What are the steps to cook this properly?
I have never cooked anything wild. Thanks in advance for the response.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,867
    I can't comment of any wild pig. The closest I've had was an organic pig. That ham came from an animal that got a bit of roaming, so the flesh was both denser and leaner. I cooked the uncured ham like a roast, 350 to an internal of 165. Was very tasty, and the flesh was quite firm.

I've found brining pieces like heart and tongue greatly reduces any musty flavor. I'd suppose that a day in brine would not hurt.

If the ham does not have much fat, going lo-n-slo may just dry it out, even if brined. Perhaps injecting later in the cook, when internal temp is Or, cut it into175 -180 would help. Or, do the classic procedure amd thread the meat with lardons, strips of bacon fat.

Or, cut it into "steaks" and grill the slices fast and hot.