Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sugar coated steak?!!

SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone heard about sugar coating steaks? I friend mentioned it to me and it sounded interesting. Before I give it a go, I thought I'd see if it has been done by anyone on the forum.[p]Smokey

Comments

• Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Smokey,[p] As a consultant for the government, I know more than my share about sugar coating things ;-). Seriously though, I would be a bit wary of putting a lot of sugar on something you're going to cook at high temperatures. Sugar will melt and burn at those temperatures. You'll probably get a blackened, nasty crust (I had an experience with some honey marinated chicken breasts that ended similarly). Having said this, I do believe that Char Crust has some sugar in it. My conjecture is that adding a bit of sugar gets you the crust part of the Char Crust. However, keep in mind that the product isn't 100% sugar.[p]MikeO
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    MikeO,[p]Along those lines, most rub recipes I've seen call for some type of sugar. Most in Smoke and Spice call for brown sugar while a few call for plain old white sugar. As MikeO points out, however, it's not 100% sugar. That being said, I'd imagine sprinking some amount of sugar similar to the amount specified in these rub recipes on a steak wouldn't be bad since we often sprinkle that same amount of sugar on things by virtue of using the rub.[p]Run-on-ingly yours,
    Cornfed