Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast Help

Options
StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife brought home a pot roast for me to cook on the BGE. Well I have never even thought of doing this. So, I set up my BBQ Guru to cook it at 300° for pit set and 185° for meat set. It should get to the collagen level quick then ramp down to meet the meat set temp. Guess I'll try to cook it like sorta like a brisket. It only weighs in at 5.32 pounds. I figure maybe 5-6 hours.[p]Anyone have any eggperience with this kind of meat. [p]Am I doing the right thing here?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    By pot roast you mean chuck roast right? I think once it spends some time in he heat and smoke, wrapping tight in foil and beef broth (or other liquid), then returning to the cooker might get you more where you wanna be. That is definitely not enough time to get that tough sucker done without foil.[p]I have only done chuck roast once or twice, and those brain cells are not 100%, but I'd say 3 hours in the smoke, and then into the foil til it is done.[p]Other will probably have some better ideas, but I figger time is a tickin so I wanted to throw in a couple pennies.[p]Happy friday.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Yeah, this pot roast thing got sprung on me at the last minute. The Guru has got it to within 25° of 185° meat set point and it's starting to ramp down now. Maybe it will be alright. That Guru is amazing. Holding 300° pit set rock steady. [p]How you been doin'. Always good to hear from you.[p]You say wrap it in foil. For how long?
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Yes, I forgot. It is chuck roast. Boneless of course.
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Now it's setting in the collagen level at 170°. That's good. It means it's breaking thru that tough stuff down. The pit has ramped down to 250°. Sounds like it's going to be OK. I kind watch the meat do it's magic if follow the temps. You can see get to the collagen level, set there and then break out. That's when the temp shoots up again. The Guru is truly magic.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Doin great thanks. Good to hear from you too. If you are at 160 that would be a good time to wrap it. You are JUST now entering the plateau where the tough stuff starts breaking down. Might not be a bad idea to knock it down to 250-275 while it is in the foil, and give it time to do its tenderizing. This is the critical part of your cook, and you don't want to be too hot once it is wrapped tight in the foil.[p]How long in the foil? Until it is tender to the poke.
    Have fun![p]Cooking non-egged pecan crusted flounder tonight.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Yes, the 170 means you are breaking down the tough stuff, but it still needs time. The guru is very cool, but it aint magic![p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Sounds yummie. Post recipe if it works out. It should knowing you. You da man.[p]Ok waiting to see how it goes here.
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    if she wants a pot roast
    sear the outside
    put it in a dutch oven with potatoes, carrots, celery,ONIONS, bit of garlic
    cover with a red wine or beer or water
    put the dutch oven covered on the grill and cook about 250 or 300 untill the roast pulls apart (6hrs?)
    if needed add fluid, or thicken with a roux.
    oh yeah salt pepper worchestershire bay leaves

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Here it what I'm thinking. Maybe let it get to 185°, pull and wrap for 3-4 hours. That should do it. You think?[p]Now 170° meat temp, pit ramped down to 250°.
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Now you tell me. Too late I'm committed now. Seems to be going OK. Time will tell. [p]As for traditional cooking I usually put in pressure cooker with carrots, potatoes, onions and cook for about an hours. You can cut it with credit card, if I had any left. Cut them all up a few years ago.[p]My dad was a chef all his life and he taught me a lot. Guess it's in my blood now. He never wrote anything down. Took all with him to the grave. He's been gone since 1968. Mom since 1986. I'm an orphan now.[p]I'll let you know how this comes out.[p]Even temps
  • jwitheld
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    now a nice 2" thick chuck is good for a "pot roast" it can also be rendered for grilling. about half of the chuck roll should be tender as it is the other half can be eaten after you get strength from the first half.
    somewhere about yesterday a saturation of meat tenderizer should be done, marinade in italian salad dressing (kraft zesty) works but still do the tenderizer.
    cook over a hot fire as you would a steak,
    remeber more done is more tough.
    slice thin and serve
    AACCCK now im hungry

• jwitheld
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    you have learned a valuble lesson
    go forth to what elders you still have like aunt petunia and get those recipies on paper or on disk.
    ive heard from my mother how my great grandmother cooked but its gone now. i have mommas and grandmommas and some from other peoples grannys.
    it is worth saving

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Yeah, you making eveybody hungry now. I can all the BGE's firing up as I write this. Sounds real good to me. I'll try that sometime.
  • jwitheld
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    put it in a dutch oven with the veggies, should have a nice smokey flavor.

• StubbyQ
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shame. He also never measured anything. Just a little of that and little of this. I did manage to get his cornbread dressing recipe. No Sage. I hate Sage. Use Sage to smuge your house or something but don't cook with it. The Indians were right. I mean Native Americans, sorry.
  • StubbyQ
    Options
    Another thing I need to buy. Never had one. Wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]I've made this cornbread and sage sausage stuffing from this julia and jacques cooking at home book many times over the past several years to rave reviews. I love the smell that permeates the kitchen and surrounding rooms after adding fresh sage to the simmering pan. I can post the recipe, or google the terms above if interested.[p]I guess, as they say, mileage varies!
    Cornfed