Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am ashamed of the condition my cast iron grate. it sits in a plastic tub under a table next to my egg. i never use it. and i would like to put in a more permanent storage place in the garage. it is now rusty. i was thinking about running one of those wire brushes that attach to my drill. until it the rust dissappears. then coating it in crisco and seasoning it in the egg a couple times. if i place it in storage will it be safe to use again if i ever get the desire?

thanks just worried about the rust issue

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'll be fine that way. I wouldn't bother "seasoning" it though. Just wire brush, oil and store in a dry place.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would be happy to refurbish and store here in Florida on one of my eggs. My friend Gloria won a medium and a nest at the Sunshine Fest. Recently got a grate from a chimenea that was left behind at a rental. It was the puurfect size for a large. I wirebrushed it, coated it with peanut oil and tossed in the large and cooked 600 for 30 minutes. PS You have a package on the way!

CASTIRONGRATE.jpg
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    don't season it, clean off the rust and cook soem fatty meat...i seasoned both of mine for the small and large and I'm pretty sure after a couple of high temp cooks the seasoning is gone on both
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks for the package!!

it seems like just oiling it is the way to go after the wire brush thingie

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks to all of my pal's....

it seems like the thing to do is wire brush it and oil it, and store it.. so i will do that this weekend. thanks pals

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Why not just use it more ? I use mine for everything.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i have a regular porcelin grate in one large and a ss one in the other large. the cast iron novelty wore off on me after lugging it in and out of the egg. and i can't use my lawn ranger grate lifter with it. but really it served me a reality that i do not need it "so my steaks look better". just got by the looks and worried anbout the taste ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb