Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Mail order spices!!?

SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
edited 1:56AM in EggHead Forum
Along with bill and other junk, today's mail included an mail order catalog of seasonings! The company is Penzey's Spices. Anyone heard of them or experienced them? The have detailed description of many spices (growing, harvesting, preparing, etc). Prices seem reasonable. [p]Smokey

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Great place with great spices. Can't lose doing business with them.

• BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Smokey, I seem to remember about a month ago, Nature Boy ordered a caravan-load of spices from these folks. If you don't see him chime in with an opinion soon, catch him off-line for an honest up-to-date assessment of their product, if you are considering an order.[p]
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Smokey,[p]A realiable source for quality ingredients.[p]Spin

• King-O-CoalsKing-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Smokey, a few weeks ago I recieved my first order from them. Great stuff, and I have already checked off items in the catalogue that I will order when the heat blows over. [p] honey,,, I'm not on the BGE forum,,,,,,,,,, shhhhhh! I gotta go..

King-O-Coals,[p]Just placed my order. Can't wait to try some of the stuff!

Smokey, I got a bag of Annato Seeds. You slow saute them in vegatable, olive, or sesame oil for about 1/2 hour. Strain the seeds out and store the oil as you would any oil. It makes a dark red colored oil. About the color of a red-velvet cake. I use it to rub whole chickens after brining and drying them. It is highly staining so be careful around clothing. It is used for the natural red-yellow color and pungent flavor for rice and seafood dishes. It makes a great oil with a subtle pungent flavor. and 8 oz. package is a lifetime supply. I also got a few other things like juniper berries, lemon grass, and ground Thailand Galangal. It's a relative of ginger. Very good..

I started with a few of the mixed spices (Adabo seasoning, Bouquet Garni,Bavarian Seasoning and Galena Street Rub). I can wait for them. If its good stuff, I'll be ordering more! The juniper berries and lemon grass sound really good (... is it to late to fire something up now ... just dreaming).

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    The juniper berries are a key ingredient to Cat's baby back ribs.

JimW, don't tell her,, but that's the only reason I ordered the berries. I believe in her.