Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Wood

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I learned to look in your own backyard (mine is 172 acres) when looking for smoking wood! I found a wild cherry tree down from last years ice storm and this is what I have so far with about the same amount that needs split. Should make for some pretty goob ribs today :cheer:

100_1066.jpg

I prefer chunks, but have plenty of chips set aside for now

100_1067.jpg

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    The aromatics from Cherry and pig are over the top! ;) your gonna dig it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You have a nice stash of one of my favorite woods.... If you can, you should consider covering it or moving it into a barn or other shelter. Smoking wood can get too dried out and loose a lot of flavor. Here is some of the cherry I got in a trade. The heart wood was just perfect.

IMG_0335a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Get a lathe! That is some beautiful wood!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I did a slab of ribs last weekend with cherry. Very tasty. Nice score!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I did a slab of ribs last weekend with cherry. Very tasty. Nice score!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I plan on moving to the barn and keeping in container, just cut & split this weekend