Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook!

Options
Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my LBGE for about 3-4 weeks now and tomorrow will be my first cook. I was trying to create an EGGtopia. I started off building a table then built a patio and built in planter. I haven't quite finished my area but I am tired of seeing my BGE in the garage. Any ideas for an easy first cook with low temps?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Congrats on your new Egg.

You are going to get several responses suggesting Spatchcocked Chicken as a first cook, and that is indeed a good option.

Another one would be a Whole Pork Loin. Just season with S&P and roast it at 300deg until about 160internal.
    Use the leftovers for sliced pork sammies for the next several days.

Good Luck.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    You mention “low temp”…This is a good idea!
    The chicken and the loin are great suggestions. It’s hard to go wrong with these as they are both pretty forgiving. Just watch the temp and don’t over cook.
    To go just a bit more complicated…I will add another suggestion for a real nice low and slow…
    Fill your Egg with lump right to the top of the fire ring (this will be more than you need, but will also give you piece of mind) and put on a 4 to 5 lb. beef chuck roast, indirect, at 200 to 250 F. This should take a minimum of about 1.5 hrs. / lb.
    Nothing special here either, just a bit of oil, salt and pepper or some favorite spices rubbed on.
    Pull it off at an internal temp of about 160 to 170 F. Put it on enough foil to wrap well, or in a foil roasting bag with about a cup of red wine. Seal it well and put it back on the Egg for another hour or so until you hit 185 - 190ish…
    It should slice nicely, be pretty darn tender and have a really wonderful taste!
    I don’t think you would be disappointed!
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I bet you never thought you would join a cult! Congrats on the egg purchase. You have chicken, beef, and pork suggestions so you should be set for your easy first cook. Enjoy the cooking.
    Ernie
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Congrats on the egg now get cooking! Remember we like pics of the Food. :woohoo:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Rub some potatoes with oil and coat them with kosher salt and put them directly on the grill. when they are about 1/2 way done move the taters to the side and put a soaked cedar plank on with some salmon on it. sprinkle the salmon with kosher salt, fresh black pepper, and brown sugar. Egg it all at about 350 direct.