Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Knee Arthritis Followup

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago I posted a question about knee pain due to arthritis and what you guys were doing in order to get some relief. I posted it on the Off Topic Forum.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=838297&catid=12

I got lots of good comments and suggestions that helped me to better understand my options and a little insight into what I faced down the road.

Thanks for all those who posted a reply or emailed me.

Meanwhile, I decided to go see my orthopaedic surgeon. I visited with him this morning and want to share one bit of information that I had not thought of.

First of all, my knees are shot. He said it was Bone-on-bone and injections might relieve pain but is definitely not a fix to what ails me. No, I'm going to have to have knee replacements if I hope to feel better.

But that's not what I wanted to pass on.

I told the doctor that I didn't want knee surgery except as a last resort. So he showed me the X-rays and pointed out the growing damage in both of my knees. Then he said something I had not even considered, that I'm soon to be 69 years old and I could develop any number of medical conditions that would disqualify me from future knee surgery. Then I would have no choice but to go through my remaining years with decreased mobility, increased pain and greatly decreased quality of life. That's not a good thing.

Needless to say, I'm scheduling the surgery for soon after my Sweetie retires in June.

I just wanted to make sure those of you who are facing painful knee issues now or down the road, to keep in mine that "Window of Opportunity" for knee surgery or knee replacement. Any delay at all could have a profound impact on your life.

You're welcome.

Spring "Knees Need Kneading And Sometimes Fix'n" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Thanks for the perspective.

My Dad had his knees done at a little younger than you. After almost 20 years on them he is still doing great and his only regret is that he didn't have them both done at once (that's usually how they do it now) to halve the recovery time.

Best of luck,

Dave

P.S. Do try the fish/krill oil and getting some of the processed junk out of your diet. I used to be the Advil poster child - 4 to 6 a day, every day - and now haven't had one in almost a year. You'll love the new knees, but anything else you can do to help will make it that much better.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leroy we are behind you (hell I am only a few years).
    Best to you on this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I have had my knees for 12 years. Had to get them at age 58 or go to a wheelchair. Go for it do your rehab & you will do fine. Mine don't bend like the real ones but the pain is gone. GOOD LUCK from Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Glad you had your check up and it sounds like you were due. Glad they can fix you up. Have watched and photographed many knee surgeries in the past. They have come so far in joint replacement.
    Egging is not a sit down sport, we need you healthy my friend...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    Options
    SC,

Best of luck, Soon you will feel like a new man. Like I stated in my post when you asked, my friend said it was the best thing he had done and you can't slow him down now. Look out world about July or August SC will be highly mobile again.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I hope everything go's smoothly Leroy and you get on the mend

Ross
  • Hoping all goes well.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Mr. Chicken, I had my first knee replaced 1 year ago and never looked back. I was 56 at the time. I can offer 2 suggestions:

1. Do yourself a favor and buy this book "Total knee replacement & rehabilitation, a knee owners manual" by Drs. Dan Brugioni and Jeff Falkel. It explains in great detail the replacement process and more importantly gives recommendations for exercises before and after the operation. Very good advise indeed. It will take you from 1 month before the operation to 1 year after. I bought my copy online for about $10 - have since passed it on.
    2. If you still have insurance, find out if they will pay for in-house rehab. Typical stay is 5-6 days and can make a huge difference in rehab recovery speed.

Good luck to you B)

ps. other knee will be replaced in February 2011.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    Leroy...My dad (older than you) had knee preplacement last year...and up and at it, walking much better. My brother (younger than me) just had it done in Jan. Was back to work 8 weeks later. Good thoughts coming your way...you'll do just fine. Why wait...do it now..then in June you'll be ready for eggfests....
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Sure hoping you can hobble on over to Austin, May 1. :ohmy:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Leroy, I'm glad you made a decision to take control and get yourself fixed (knees) :huh: :laugh: . My mother in law had it done and has no regrets.

I have a similar problem. My left knee has arthritis in it and the doc basically told me I have 4 options.

1. do nothing...just live with the pain.
    2. try another round of shots.
    3. get another MRI to make sure the meniscus is smooth and possible scope again.
    4. partial replacement.

I'm only 44 years old and am still raising kids. No options really sound good to me. I'm going to try to loose weight (yea right!) :pinch: to see if it relieves the pain. If I can't do it, I guess I'll go under the knife in the fall.

See ya in OKC :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks Dave.

Yea, that caught me off guard. I probably would have waited until I was ready for a nursing home before saying 'yes' to knee replacement. But by then it would have been too late.

This way I can continue doing what I'm doing but without pain until time for the nursing home or someone puts me out of their misery LOL

I'll probably raise an eyebrow or two when I go through airport security. But at my age a good 'frisking' might just make my day.

Spring "A Frisk In The Morning, A Frisk In The Evening, A Frisk At Supper Time..." Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea Mickey, 'behind me' is the place to be. Heck, I can't keep my balance now. I don't know which way I'll lean with new knees.

Spring "Hup Hup Go To Your Left, Go To Your Left, Go More To Your Left, Go Way Way More To Your Left" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha. July and August is when I take my naps. Now you tell me I've got to get mobile. Shoot! I was looking forward to a long summer's nap.

Spring "Press Here For Hibernate" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've decided that I'm no longer going to think of a career in the NFL so I guess getting some new knees is a far sight better than getting a new set of wheel-chair wheels.

Spring "Scoot'n Around On All Two's" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You're right... Egg'n is not a sit-down sport, not when you want to sample someone else's cooking at fests. And Eggspecially when you want to cook at fests.

I made the mistake of sitting down one time in Atlanta and couldn't get back up LOL Naaaaaaaaaa! Why would you think rum had anything to do with it?

Spring "Help, I've Fallen And I Don't Want To Get Up" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks Ross. "Smoothly" is the key word here. I'm hoping the surgery goes 'smoothly' and the rehab goes 'smoothly' and the new joint operates 'smoothly.'

Spring "No More Squeaks" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the quicker you get it done the quicker you will be enjoying rum and cokes back out in the coop. i would do it as quick as possible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds like a book I need to read. I'll contact Amazon.

I'm told that it takes 4 to 6 weeks just to set up the surgery. During that time I'll need to put away a couple of pints of blood, maybe more because I take blood thinners, and I'll need to be in as good 'a shape as I can be at the time of the surgery. I can do the blood thing but as for being in good shape, I'd like to be drunk out of my mind LOL...

But 3 to 5 days in the hospital, and three months of therapy and I should be like a new "one good legged" Chicken.

Good luck on your second leg.

Spring "Could Someone Give Me A Leg Up" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Your Dad and your Brother??? Hummmmmm? What in the world did they do to wear out four Legs in such a short time? LOL Must have be a couple of real 'kick-ass' guys. Sure glad it didn't rub off on you. Or maybe it did... Poor Randy.

But it's good to keep hearing about successes instead of failures. Makes me think I've got a chance of being normal. "normal" Naaaaaaaaaa!

Spring "In Today's World Even Abnormal Is Normal" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm not scheduling anything until after the Oklahmoma and Texas Eggfests. Then I'll punch out and ride the agony wagon until I'm done. Yea, I'm in pain and willing to prolong the agony just so's I can have a good time. Some would call that (fill in the blank).

But I've also got a Chicken Ranch to run. Spring Hen is gonna have her wings full.

Spring "Soon To Be Pampered Chef" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    One of the things I learned in all of this is that excess weight is not the cause, it's just a contributing factor to the pain. You can lose weight but you will still have the condition and the pain, just maybe less of it.

I highly recommend getting it done before you lose that 'window of opportunity.'

Good luck.

Spring "Nothing Like A Lot Of Knee Pain To Get Your Attention" Chicken
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    My husband got a knee replacement and it was the best decision he made.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yes but I've got to make a liquor store run first LOL.

As for the Coop, I think it's progressed to the point where it runs itself. But I do need to replace the keg in the beer machine every now and then, and maybe clean one or two of the Girls. They love to be primped and primed for new customers.

Yea, I guess I'd better get myself all fixed so's I can keep the Ranch operational.

Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, when are you coming this way? I told the Girls about you and that you can't catch fish (as your handle suggests) so now they want to meet you.

I'll keep the 'Girls Working' light on for you.

Spring "Planning Is The Key To Preparation" Chicken
  • ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    Options
    I don't think your therapist will let you take a long nap after that surgery. They are going to want you to be as active as you can.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    just one knee or both? I'm thinking if one knee is bad then both will eventually go bad.

Glad it turned out good for him. I'm shooting for the same results.

This time next year I'd like to be saying "Got me some new knees. Best decision I ever made.' Well not necessarily 'the' best decision I ever made, but one of the best decisions I ever made. Or maybe one of the top 100 best decisions I ever made.

I guess I'll have to figure all that out after I'm up and running again.

Spring "Good Decisions On Precision Incisions Is A Must" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've heard that and I'm pretty sure I will be assigned to Ogar The Painful for my therapy. LOL

Spring "Bad Pain Rising" Chicken
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I think you are making the right decision there Leroy. I have right hip that is going to need replacement soon. Have been putting it off but guess it's inevitable.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Are you getting both done at the same time?

Glad to hear you went to the doc. Soon there will be bionic spring back in spring chicken.

GG
  • dave,
    It doesn't really halve the recovery but it does reduce it by about a 1/3 to maybe 16 - 18 weeks. I had mine done 5 years apart and the actual real recovery time for each was only about 12 weeks