Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some ribs - this past weekend (lots o pics)

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are some ribs that I did on the weekend (321) using Wess B's recipe.

They were very nice.

Raws...
DSC00779.jpg

pulled membrane...
DSC00782.jpg
DSC00781.jpg

Seasoned... (as per Wess B)
DSC00786.jpg

Indirect with some apple wood, apple cider, on the rack...DSC00793.jpg

Sorry - no foil pics..

Sauced up...getting there...
DSC00803.jpg (using stubbs sauce)

sorry - no final pics - they didn't last long enough.

Michael

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    When and how did you take the plate setter out
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I took out the plate setter after the foiling process (around the 5 hour mark). This was the first time I've foiled ribs. I thought it worked well. I had to take the ribs off the grill to take the foil off. This was my opportunity to put on my silicone gloves, remove the grill and plate setter and place them on a patio stone that I have close to the egg.

Michael
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Just for the record...I don't bother taking the platesetter out anymore..guess I should update that cook write up....you'll get very similar results without the hassle or danger of dealing with a hot platesetter....glad to hear you had good results, and thanks for the mention.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi Wess:

I'm not sure if your recipe says to remove the plate setter but I know that I read it somewhere so I did.

We're not big fans of "spicy hot" food. I put about half the cayenne your recipe called for - it still had a little bite while the other spices and smoke provided a lot of flavour.

We will definitely try your recipe again.

Thanks,

Michael
  • WessB
    Options
    Not sure if I stated in there or not ( I'm assuming you talking about my rub recipe ) but I took JJ's rub recipe and cut the herbs in half and doubled the peppers..you may want to blend it up the way he intended..was more herby tasting than we preferred...not sure if it's still on this website or not...
  • RGBHV
    Options
    That's the rub. (Wess's modified version of JJ's rub - you acknowledge JJ in your recipe)

I wanted to try something with more herbs - rather than heat. Once I dropped most of the cayenne, I seemed to achieve that with your recipe/technique. I think you're right about a more fine blend of the herbs - I'll try that next time. Maybe use some fresh herbs too.

Michael
  • WessB
    Options
    I was able to locate his recipe in the "BGE forum recipes" in pdf format in the recipes section of my website..if you wanna give that a try...
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    man that looks great