Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First beer can chicken

HooterHooter Posts: 127
edited 10:02PM in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do my first beer can chicken today. It's about time considering I've owned my egg for three years now! [p]Anyway...my question is...should I set the bird direct over the coals, or do a platesetter, grill, with bird on it?

Comments

• BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Hooter,[p]I like to put the bird above a drip pan; makes it "kinda indirect".[p]Ken
  • KevinHKevinH Posts: 165
    Hooter,[p]Some people prefer to cook it indirect, with a drip pan, so they can turn the juices in the pan into gravy. Other people prefer to cook it direct, to make the skin crispier. It seems to be a religious argument. I've also heard people recommend anything from 3.5 hours at 225 degrees up to 1 hour at 450.[p]Yesterday, I cooked a 4# bird on a can indirect at 300 for 2 hours. Turned out great.
  • HooterHooter Posts: 127
    KevinH,[p]Thanks...I think I'm going to try direct so I can get the crispier skin.

• BordersBorders Posts: 665
    Hooter, if you're going to go direct, I suggest you use a raised grid if you have one.