Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a reminder. Calibrate for spring!

Options
brklynbbq
brklynbbq Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I broke out the egg a few weeks ago, snow be damned, and things seemed off. I brought it out again to celebrate the nice weather and calibrated this time. 60 degrees off!

Boil that water, get the pliers, aim for 212, and get cookin'!

a

Comments

• silver00
    silver00 Posts: 22
    Options
    I did calibrate my thermometer this weekend, and sure enough, it was showing like 60 degrees cool at 212 (which explains why my Boston butt finished in record time...). Unfortunately it now rests at about 100 when I know it's only 50 degrees outside. So... Am I only accurate at one point in the thermo (212)? Maybe I should just get a new thermometer.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    When I recalibrated I was off about 80*. Mine sits at 100 also no matter what the outside temp is. Food though has been turning out fine which is the only reason I have not replaced it.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    It is not unusual for them to be far oiff on the lower end of the dial. Calibrate to 212 and they will be right on where it matters. Mine shows 70 degrees when it is -10 F out but is dead on from 150 to 700.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I am glad to read this thread. I recently calibrated both of mine at 212 and they show 90 before start up when it is closer to 55-60. Of course, if the sun is shining I am sure this is some green house (no pun intended) effect making the interior warmer than air temp. I may still re-calibrate again just to make sure.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What's this nonsense about "breaking out the egg"?! It should STAY broken out! It doesn't care about snow, rain, cold, etc. The rest of us have BEEN cookin' - all winter long! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Most likely, yes, you're only accurate at the temperature you re-zeroed your thermometer. If you have a digital that fits into the Egg's dome hole, you can stabilize the dome temp, pull the bimetal out and put the digital in to check it at some other temp than 212*. You'll get a clearer picture of where your thermometer is good, and where it isn't.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have to echo that thought....
    I’m in Northern MN and I’m cooking 12 months of the year.
    Ripnem even put together a “mini fest” last month!
    Now…Granted that fest was a bit South of me, down in the Minnesota Banana Belt :whistle: and the temps were in the teens and twenties…
    We had a blast :woohoo: !
    Think of how lonely your Egg is, if it doesn’t see you for months on end :(
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Opppsss!
    An after thought!
    Thanks for the reminder about "Calibration"
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    EXACTLY what I was about to ask.........how did it get past one reply without someone asking about why you had to "break out" the egg? Heck, I think sometimes it is just as much if not more fun to cook when it is frigid outside......there is plenty of heat coming off the egg anyways. :P
  • brklynbbq
    brklynbbq Posts: 14
    Options
    You're right. I shouldn't have said "break out" I should have implied that I now have had the egg for 4 years and perhaps that is why my thermometer is off.

In fact, I let my thermometer go off for so long BECAUSE i was grilling in 20 degrees, and I assumed (incorrectly) that the cold was effecting my egg more than I thought it would. Then I remembered calibrating when I bought it, and thought maybe I should check it out.

And, I have to wheel my egg from the garage to my wee brooklyn yard in order to use it... but 24 inches of snow be damned, I smoked bacon.

I should have been more clear. Neither rain nor snow nor sleet... and so on.

neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, nor the winds of change, nor a nation challenged, will stay us from the swift completion of our appointed egging

-a