Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Re-enlightenment

JSlotJSlot Posts: 1,218
edited 8:55PM in EggHead Forum
I had an interesting revelation last night and thought I'd share it with anyone who might be interested. I was looking for something quick and easy to eat for dinner last night before my pool match and I came across some of the meat we brought back from our latest competition. We always cook at least two butts, one for pulling and one for slicing. Well, when I cook a butt at home, I almost always make pulled pork. Doesn't everybody?! Well, I had a bag full of pork pieces for slicing. This butt had only been cooked to 175° internal. For the record, I was reaquainted with the beautiful flavor of plain ol' roast pork. The different texture gave the pork a much different flavor, or maybe it just seemed like a different flavor. Anyway, I'd encourage you guys and gals to cook a butt to slicing temp in the near future. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results. Not quite sure why a sliced pork sandwich seems so different from a pulled pork sandwich. Not that one is better than the other, mind you, just very different.[p]Seeing Clearly Now,
Jim

Comments

• JSlot, I can understand that very well and to some degree I get that same feeling about a lower temp brisket, i.e. both are good but different.

• RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    JSlot,
    I want to second this opinion!
    I was at an all-day concert last Saturday and the there was a vendor there that was spit roasting whole pork loins. They were using what looked like an old 200 gallon oil storage tank that was converted into a trailer cooker with an electric rotisserie. They were cooking over lump with some hickory splits. Also, I think that they were simply using seasoned salt as a rub.[p]The moral of the story is that the roasted pork smelled absolutely fantastic. I found myself thinking you did … It is time to do a pork roast. [p]The more I think about, a pork loin roast does not require as high internal temperature as a Pork Butt to be considered cooked.[p]Yummmm,
    RhumAndJerk[p]