Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon--Help

Options
BrisketBob
BrisketBob Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking for 6 adults. How much salmon? How long do I soak the planks? Dome temperature? Internal temperature? :unsure:

Comments

• BrisketBob
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good start. I found a pretty good video on UTube that helps too. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I do this a lot so here is my method for what it is worth.

Figure at least a 6 oz piece for each person, 8 for big appetites.

Soak the planks for at least two hrs. fully submerged, put a weight of some kind on them so they go under.

I go 375-400 dome to 135 internal, this takes anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

Cook the fish with the skin on and down on the plank, no need to turn it. When done the meat will slideeasily off the skin.

I have two favorite recipes for this. Number one is Dizzy Pigs Raging River/maple syrup method which works really well on the plank.
    Number Two is 2 parts brown sugar mixed w/ one part spicy brown mustard. Mix to a pastse and spread all over the fish and cook as above.

Hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options
    Capt. Frank, is that direct or indirect?
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Sorry for the omission, it is indirect, that's why it take longer, but the good news is you get to use your planks over and over :lol: .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    I've got a bundle of plants but they're pretty thin. What's the chance of them catching on fire if I soak them for three hours?
  • but isn't the idea of the plank that it will smoke and impart some of that to the fish?

cooking it direct makes the fish indirect by way of the plank. the plank smokes, slide the fish off, toss out the plank.

you don't need to spend ca$h on "culinary grtade" cedar, since there's no such thing. buy planks from the lumberyard. even shingles will do. of course, don't buy treated shingles, but you won't anyway, because they are certified, tagged, and priced entirely differently.
  • heck, they won't catch on fire if you soak them for only twenty minutes. in fact, thin ones don't need to soak as long. i use shingles and soak maybe fifteen minutes, half an hour.

400, direct. they'll char, but they are sacrificial anyway.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Indirect, no problem, direct, they might, you definetly will get fewer uses from them. I have never done planked cooks direct, so I can't say for sure. If you try it that way, use a raised grid.
    Whicever way, you will get some charring. That is easy to either scrape or sand off.
    For future reference, when I need planks I just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a 1x6 piece and cut it to the lengths I want. That material is about 3/4" thick.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PapaB
    Options
    Got it. Thanks.
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    I bought a bundle of cedar shake shingles. I've got tons of them. Thanks for the help. I'm going to try it direct and see what happens.
  • PapaB
    Options
    BB just a fyi...I was planning on doing planked Salmon tonight as well. I just got done with my cook (and eat), and it was fantastic. Here's what I did...The salmon had no skin. I EVOO'd and seasoned both sides. I had the egg set up for direct when I saw the earlier reference to indirect, so I left it that way. When the BGE was up to 375, I put the planks on for about 8 minutes, turned them over and loaded the salmon onto the planks and added some Alder wood chips. Cooked them direct on the plank for about 25 min. Some of the salmon got done earlier than the other due to the difference in thickness, but it turned out well. The oozing of the albumen is a great thermometer...
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I go direct at 400 F. I soak the planks for an hour, give or take, heat them for 3 to 4 minutes, give a flip and put on the fish!
    Cook time is dependent on thickness as PapaB stated with the results of his cook.
    My rule of thumb is about 8 to 10 minutes per inch.
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    OK, thanks for the help. The cook went great. I got a standing ovation from the guests. Of course they had a lot of chardonnay with the salmon. I like cooking it direct. The glaze I made was dijon, brown sugar, garlic and srirachi. It was really good. I made some dill sauce too but the salmon was so good I decided not to use it.