Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upper band adjustment???

Options
Kenny 13
Kenny 13 Posts: 321
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious about adjusting the upper band on my LBGE after reading the following thread and seeing that mine looks like the ones in the picture, minus the broken bolt. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=837358&catid=1

The assembly instructions say to make sure the band is even all the way around, and I have no problem getting it like that. However, getting it to move where it is flush with the "lip" on the dome is another story as I cannot get it to move at all on the back side by the hinge assembly. How critical is this, and any suggestions for moving it by the hinge? GG made the suggestion of moving it & re-tightening, but there's just no moving it on that side. I was thinking about getting a bar clamp and reversing it so it works as a spreader, just don't know if I'll be able to get a grip with it.

I did the dollar bill test after assembly and got resistance all the way around the dome, but the resistance was noticeably less on that back side by the hinge. I adjusted it some yesterday and it's not exactly even all the way around, and now I'm still getting resistance all the way around but noticeably less on the handle side of the dome. You almost can't pull the dollar out on the hinge side, but it slides out easily, but with resistance on the other half of the dome.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Someone had some pictures of using a reversed clamp and it seemed like it worked well.

Some thoughts...

It is important the dome and or base won't slip under the bands.

The egg isn't a pressure cooker, and I don't think it is all that important to have the same pull resistance all the way around the egg.

I have experienced a gasket failure due to a gap (visible) in the gasket.

Even if the gasket area 'seeps' smoke it isn't going to affect a cook and probably won't cause any problems with holding temperature.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Had the same issues and had to get creative in seating the band properly. After loosening the band, I have used two different methods.

1) I used a long cushioned clamp between the upper vent and the band to gently pull it up

2) Used a block of wood and gently tapped the band - I want to stress gently - it didn't take much effort at all.

Once seated properly all the way around, I tightened the bolt.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here is the reverse clamp method but it just works at the back and not sure if you could use this with a nest.

101_2462640x480.jpg

I used the reverse clamp to snug it up at the back.

Not snug
    101_2613640x480.jpg
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was absolutely critical to have the same pull all the way around, as long as you are getting a seal. I was more concerned with keeping the band even all the way around and that I couldn't get it even close to that upper lip in trying to do so.

Frank, I did try the wooden block & gently tapping with a rubber mallet but it didn't help much. I don't have any problem moving the band anywhere except the back by the hinge. Otherwise, I can move it as much as I want with little effort. I was thinking about the reverse clamp method and think I have an idea of how it could work, but I do have concerns of the entire egg in the nest moving and possibly rolling over. I'm gonna make certain nothing bad can happen before I try anything.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That's what I was looking for, thanks for re-posting, that's a good tip.

GG