Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 way shrimp

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a new method (for me) of cooking less than jumbo sized shrimp that I got out of the ATK books. It worked liked a champ and the shrimp were fantastic.

Basically, they recommend jamming the shrimp tightly onto skewers in alternating directions so that the shrimp cook more like 1 larger piece than 13 smaller ones. The idea is to be able to grill the shrimp long enough to get a decent caramelized exterior without completely cooking the shrimp. Then the shrimp are finished in a simmering sauce to add more flavor. The sauce is preheated on the grill before the skewered shrimp are cooked and then the shrimp are put into the sauce and put back onto the grill for just a minute or so.

Sauces on the grill (sorry for the overly red tint)
383710758.jpg

Shrimp in a Lemon-Butter-Red Pepper sauce
383710768.jpg

Shrimp in a Charmoula (sp?) sauce - my favorite
383710777.jpg
383710786.jpg

Shrimp in a Tomato-Feta-Olive sauce
383710801.jpg

I'll be grilling shrimp with this method more often.

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Cory, those look great!!!! I need to stay off of here late in the afternoon. I get too hungry :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I use a similar method I got from a Cooks Illustrated book on grilling - you know, they do all this test kitchen stuff.

They skewer the peeled shrimp the same way for the same reason. I put a rub on both sides, then they suggest a light coating of table sugar on only one side.

Hot, direct grid (400*+), put the 'sugar' side down first (on an oiled grid). Cook for 2 minutes or so then flip for another 2 minutes or so (the goal is NOT to completely cook the shrimp in this phase - want them still undercooked in the center).

Slide the shrimp off into your simmering sauce. Move it over the hot part of the grill and stir them around for 90 sec. or so, then remove from the heat.

Principles: The sugar helps caramelize one side, but the short grilling keep from overcooking. The sauce finish give flavor and retains moisture which pure grilling often eliminates.

Great looking cook !
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks Clark, that's where I got it from as well.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks Mark. I did these last night and am already wanting more :laugh:
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hey Cory,
    Nexy time you make those give me a call and I'll drive down and help you eat those shrimp! :) Call me about an hour before they are done! :laugh: I'll bring the brewskies.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Those look great. One thing I haven't had the success I expect out of my egg has been shrimp. Any details on the "Charmoula (sp?) sauce"?

Doug
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Cory, all 3 versions look fantastic. Great pics!! Would you care to share the sauce recipes?
  • Cory430
    Options
    Jon, where in Colorado are you?
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks Doug, I'll get the recipes up soon.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks Anne, I'll have the recipes up shortly.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Here are the sauce recipes. Each recipe is enough for about 1.5lbs of shrimp.

Spice Lemon garlic
    4 tble butter - cut into 4 pieces
    4 tble fresh lemon juice
    3 mediem garlic cloves - minced or pressed
    3/4 tsp red pepper flakes - I would use more next time
    1/8 tsp salt

10" disposable pie plate - I used smaller bake pans because I was trying all 3 sauces at the same time and needed room on the grill.

1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley - minced

Combine first 5 ingredients in the pan and cook direct over a hot fire (mine was about 450° or so) for about 2 minutes or so until simmering.

Remove from grill until the shrimp are ready. Add the partially cooked shrimp to the pan and return to the grill for about 2 minutes.

Add the fresh parsley and serve immediately.

Fresh Tomato with Feta and Olives
    4 tble EVOO
    1 large ripe tomato - cored, seeded, finely diced
    1 tble fresh oregano - minced
    1/8 tsp salt

10" pie plate - see above note
    1 cup crumbled feta
    1/3 cup kalamatta olives - pitted and finely chopped
    2 tble lemon juice

Same procedure as above. Add the feta, olives and lemon juice just before serving.

Charmoula Sauce
    4 tble EVOO
    1 small red bell pepper - seeded, stemmed, and finely diced
    3 medium garlic cloves - minced or pressed
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/8 tsp salt

10" pie plate
    1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    2 tble lemon juice

Same procedure as above. Add the cilantro and lemon juice just before serving.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    All 3 are lookin good. I, too, like trying several variations at the same time - it makes it real clear which on tastes best.

Nice dinner. Thanks for the recipes.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great Cory!! What are the ingredients in the Charmoula sauce? I happen to have the Sauce Bible here and wondering how to spell it correctly. It's not in the food dictionary either.
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Cory,
    I'm in Larkspur...Just north of Palmer Lake
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Molly,

That is the right spelling. I think it is North African. Done in a tajine sometimes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cory430
    Options
    Thanks Faith, people think I'm crazy half the time 'cause I try so many variations at once, but you are 100% right. The next time that I cook this, I will know exactly which sauce that I like the best. Plus, I just plain like a bunch of variation in my cooking :)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks Steve!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Cory430
    Options
    Molly,
    I attached all the recipes in a reply to my original post. Steven is right about it's origin, Charmoula is a Moroccan spice blend. In this version, it has been used in a sauce. Let me know if you don't see the recipes and I call and get it to ya. You'd love it.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Jon,
    We need to get together sometime with Molly and hang and torch stuff on the eggs. This summer, my housemate and I are planning to have our friends over for weekly BBQ's. I'll make sure that you and cookn biker get your invites :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    So paprika, cumin, cayenne and s/p is the combo for this, correct? I know, sometimes I need baby steps..hahaha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Check your mail amigo. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Hey that sounds great! You'll like Jon and his wife Kathy! He is an awesome cook to!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • norflor_eggman
    Options
    man that looks good.
    i've been toying with my shrimp recipe for the florida eggfest next weekend and think i may need to add the foil pan step at the end.
    thanks for your post!!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Cory,
    Thanks for posting the recipes for your sauces.
    It would be fun to meet you and get together with Molly and do some cooking.
    Molly, You are so kind.Thanks for the compliment. :)
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    They all look Great esp the last Thanks
  • Cory430
    Options
    Just remember to under cook the shrimp a bit. The whole idea is to maximize flavor yet not over cook the shrimp (which is all too easy).
  • Cory430
    Options
    Jon, with the weather seeming to be turning a bit, it shouldn't be too long. I'll set something up in the next week or so and let ya'll know.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks George!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks Cory.Yea,I'm looking forward to warmer weather.It's been a cold winter up here this year.
    Looking forward to meeting you.