Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with temp control

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know whether it's the poor temp thermometer or something else, but the internalo temp of my medium egg is not going below 400 degrees. I believe I covered all the holes in the fire box with charcoal, but if I didn't completely cover all of them, would that be the reason? It is at 400, but I am not seeing a lare amount of smoke(not much at all really), but then again I have had all dampers and slide vents closed for almost 45 minutes. I have heard that the thermometers are not the best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    chris s, it takes a LONG time for the temp to drop in the egg even with all the vents closed. Thats why the egg is such a good smoker...it holds the heat so well.[p]If you have had your vents closed for a while chances are your fire has already completely gone out. Open your lid and then close it back and see if you dumped any heat.[p]Van
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    chris s,
    How hot did you have the egg and how long was it that hot? If you let the ceramic heat up, then it takes a long time for the egg to cool off because the hot ceramic is still providing heat. Tell us more about how you got to this point.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz