Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Whiskey Brown Sugar Pork Loin

sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
edited 2:18AM in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Last night saw the egg cooking for the Mother In Law. She has a bridge club about once a month and she asked if I would cook her a pork loin, what was I to say? Naw, she's great and its a very appreciative group, love to help her out when I can. It earns free babysitting later on also which is always nice. ANYWAY...[p]I was looking through my BBQ book, Raichlens BBQ USA, and came across a recipe that turned out awesome and thought I'd share. I butterflied or jellyrolled the loin, put about tablespoon of Whiskey on the loin and then covered it with about 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard. Then I put on about 1/3 cup brown sugar and then another 2 tablespoons of whiskey. I then rolled and tied the loin back together.[p]I cooked it direct on a raised grid at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours, 135 internal. About the last 45 minutes I glazed it with a mixture of butter, brown sugar and mustard.[p]My unique contribution to the loin recipe was to add several slices of home made pastrami during the last 15 minutes of the cook. I glazed in onto the top of the loin. Added a nice flavor to the finished product I think and made for a real nice presentation at the table before it was cut.[p]Gotta tell you, its one of the best loins I've cooked in a long time. Wish I could take credit for the idea but its in the BBQ USA book that I have, I just added the pastrami. Going to cook another one for the family this weekend. Just thought I'd share that one, its worth a try if you like pork loin.[p]Troy

• GretlGretl Posts: 670
    My favorite flavors! That's a keeper, for sure.

• StubbyQStubbyQ Posts: 156
    Sounds great!!!!! I'll have to try it. BTW how much whiskey got in you? One for the loin, one for me. That's how it works over here. hehe :)
  • RaySRayS Posts: 114
    sprinter,[p]Thanks for the idea. I will be trying this weekend.[p]RayS
  • tn slagamatertn slagamater Posts: 623
    sprinter,sounds great...I'm off to the whiskey store.Thanks

• sprintersprinter Posts: 1,188
    StubbyQ,[p]Not much of a whiskey man myself, personally I prefer a good beer. Which is exactly what I had while I was preparing it and cooking it. Right now I have about 35 gallons of homebrew in the basement so I have plenty of "flavors" to choose from. With the summer BBQ competition season upon me, family/friend get togethers on other weekends, friends dropping by, and just plain having a cold one during a yard work day, its nice to be able to go to the basement and pick what I want. Its funny how many people who BBQ also brew their own beer. Someone took a straw poll a long time ago and the results were almost frightening. Alot of homebrewers in this group. Who can blame us though, BBQ and homebrew is a match made in heaven.[p]Troy
  • StubbyQStubbyQ Posts: 156
    Yeah, I used to brew beer myself. Lots of fun, but the funny thing is I don't drink. Ain't that a hoot! Anyway just keep going the way you are. Sounds like you go it together.
  • BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    sprinter,[p]That sounds great, but why pastrami? If (well, when) I try that I'll use bacon.[p]And how do you make pastrami?
    BluesnBBQ,[p]HAHAHAHAHA....great question.[p]Why Pastrami? Because I didnt have any BACON. HAHAHA I actually wanted to USE bacon.[p]Really, I thought I had some left in the freezer from the last batch I made but I remembered I used it all last weekend to make some Pig Candy for the practice run my cooking partner and I did last weekend.[p]How do you make Pastrami? Smoke a corned beef brisket. Its that simple. You can either corn the brisket yourself or buy one already corned, then smoke it for a few hours with whatever smoking wood you want and you're set. Pretty darned good stuff too. I love pastrami.[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    sprinter,[p]Okay, now what the heck is pig candy? Sounds like something StumpBaby ate as a kid. :)
  • Angie2BAngie2B Posts: 543
    I've never had this but i guess it is bacon cooked with a lot of brown sugar. It's cut up into bitesize pieces first.

Angie2B,[p]Good call Angie, exactly right. 'sept I dont cut it up into little bite size pieces first. I just use the bacon as I've sliced it, coat it real well with brown sugar and a few other "things" then throw it on the smoker for about 90 minutes or so. Not a bad little treat. I usually dont make it just by itself on the egg but when I have the big smoker going there is usually some room on one of the shelves early on in the cook to allow for a tray of this stuff. Kind of a competition treat for my buddy and me and whoever else wants some when its done. Good stuff, you should give it a try sometime.[p]Troy