Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter for temps?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been considering a bge for about 6 years and now the cinc says ok. I am looking to do the following:
1- smoke stuff
2-drink beer
3-do jerky
4-blacken fish (redfish and tuna)
5-drink beer[p]But seriously, can a mini maintain 200 degree temps for jerky etc? Or do i need something bigger with more air space to regulate heat? I am kinda confused by different smoking temps that range from 185 to 350, I thought lower is better. Sorry for the rambling. I can get a large at bbq galore with ring for $579. They hate to sell the smaller ones. I wouldn't mind a mini now and large later when I ditch the Weber.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    jpg,
    The mini is a bit of a different animal than the small-large eggs, I've often read. And the thing about jerky is that you have to make tons of the stuff to end up with enough to last more than 15 minutes (or less!). I'd go for the large now, sacrifice the weber to the gods of metal cookers, drink beer, learn how to cook on the large egg, drink beer, decide if you then want a small or mini, then cook something and drink beer. Did I mention drink beer?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jpg, go for the large...you will not regret it due mostly to the fact that BGE's "don't" waste lumb...if you get a large and want to cook yourself one burger you can and just go back to it next and you'll see just a handful of lump was burned and all you gotta do to use it again is re-light the darn thing. The large first ought to be mandatory so people that don't know better won't have to regret it later. But...you'll still want a smaller one later.