Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven - I don't get it

Options
Eublet
Eublet Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see a lot of folks talking about their dutch ovens, and it all sounds good. I guess I'm wondering if there's much differnce to use a dutch oven on the egg instead of just putting it in a regular oven. Are you guys cooking with the lid on or off?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I think many folks cook with the lids off. I tend to lid mine for a part of the time. You do pick up some of the Eggin Flava that way, but in my opinioin the main reason for it is that it's just plain cool. Also in the summer it keeps from heating the house with the oven so it becomes a cost saver. It also great for camping. For instance a standard 5qt unit will fit on a small Egg just fine, which many folks take camping or remote cooks.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You don't heat up the kitchen, U pick up great smoke flavor and usually leave the top off.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    no cover unless its getting too muxch of a smoke taste
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Lid off for either most of the cook or all of it. Depending on how much smoke flavor you're after and how long the cook is will determine the outcome.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It's a great way to pick up some smoke flavor in whatever you're cooking. I always leave the DO lid off. Here's a post of mine from a while back showing how I do chili using a DO :

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=257511&catid=1
  • asianflava
    Options
    How do you guys get the coals on the top if you cook with the lid off? Just kiddin'

I don't really use mine in the egg at all. It is another way to cook outside using fire! I take them camping which makes for an easy to cook or bake outside. Like eggin', it's a whole nother subculture. I guess I am involved in 3 Eggs, DOs and Teardrop Campers (4 if you count BBQ). DOs and teardrops go together naturally because it is minimalist camping. They are also really easy to clean, swish hot water around and brush out the big bits, rinse with more hot water you're done.

There are just as many hardcore DO cooks as there are eggers. You can also do pizzas in them by turning them upsidedown and putting the pizza on the lid. I suppose you can put the lid in the egg if you don't have a stone.

It's really easy, to approximate 350F (Everything cooks at 350) you use the rule of 3's. Take the DO size and add 3 coals to the top and subtract 3 coals. Let's say it is a 12in oven you put 15 briquettes on top and 9 briquettes underneath.

Here are a few sites:
    http://www.idos.com/
    http://www.lsdos.com/
    http://camp-cook.com/forum/index.php
  • Bacchus
    Options
    asianflava, I had do a double take. I have been researching teardrop campers. Ive been tent camping my whole life and always joke about others "camping" in their huge trailers or motor homes with Heat and A/C. I have introduced my young daughter to camping and she loves it too. We saw a show on TV(trvel chennel I think) recently about the teardrop campers and they really struck a cord with us. They are really neat. Having a ready made shelter with electricity and running water hookups while mainting the true minimalistic nature of camping seems to be their nitch, which I find very appealing. And they look very cool.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Our oven is old and will go with the rest of the junk when I get around to remodeling our kitchen. I can get and hold a more constant temp on my BGE than I can in my oven. That, plus the coolness factor of cooking OD, are why I put the DO on the BGE. (I also like using all these initials - lol)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I forget what I ruined a month or two ago by using a DO with the lid off. I think it was beef stew. I made the mistake of adding smoke wood to the coals. Maple, I think. TOO much smoke. Live and learn.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• iBeeSmok'n
    Options
    Cook with the lid off. The oven is no longer needed.
    You will love it.

IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
  • asianflava
    Options
    Here is a pic in front of Arthur Bryant's

n1326651636_30137063_4343.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Very cool. Aluminum I presume?