Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Sauce

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the Internet. There’s rarely an occasion that I fail to learn something new while looking up something else. This time I was searching Southern Living for heart-healthy foods and ran across this article by Shannon Sliter Satterwhite, M.S., R.D., titled Nature’s Sugar Substitute. She states:

“Not all sugars are created equal. In fact, honey may be nature’s most perfect. Not only does it sweeten our lives, but unprocessed honey (the kind you find from a beekeeper at your local farmers market) is also packed with powerful cancer-fighting antioxidants that help protect cells.

It can also inhibit respiratory symptoms during pollen season. The secret, however, is to eat honey made by bees in your area – it serves as an anti-allergy serum, helping to suppress the effects of local pollen.”

I already knew that honey was like a magic elixir but I didn’t know the nutritional differences between ‘processed’ and ‘unprocessed’ honey. Unprocessed honey, especially when made by local bees, now has a tremendous appeal to me.

But what I was actually looking for was a healthy sauce that would also be delicious with grilled meats like chicken and pork. The same article had such a recipe:

Beekeeper's Jezebel Sauce

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 4 min.

"This sweet-and-spicy sauce is delicious served with pork tenderloin and grilled chicken or as a dipping sauce for fried shrimp. It also makes a great savory spread for biscuits or roast beef and turkey sandwiches.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Ingredients
1 (15.25-oz.) jar apricot preserves
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth*
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons horseradish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Preparation
Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated and sauce is a pourable consistency. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.

It received a 5-Star rating. (Outstanding)

Other details:

*Vegetable broth may be substituted.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Polaner All Fruit Apricot Spread.

Note: To make a spread, prepare recipe as directed, omitting chicken broth.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 232
Fat: 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g)
Protein: 0.2g
Carbohydrate: 60.4g
Fiber: 0.3g
Cholesterol: 0.0mg
Iron: 0.2mg
Sodium: 165mg
Calcium: 7mg

Rose Marie Crowe, Trussville, Alabama, Southern Living, APRIL 2009"

You're welcome

Spring "Keep On Living" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments