Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt Cook - Questions

Options
PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to do some butts (4) overnight with my LGBGE using the adjustable rig with the plate sitting on the spider from the Ceramic Grill Store to go adjustable rig with indirect. I understand you can load the lump up to the plate of where the spider is holding it. Questions are is this enough lump to go 20+ hours if needed with a few chunks for smoke, and if I use 2 grids (hi and low) and use only one probe would you probe the lower or higher butt to monitor the temp? I don't want to open the dome unless I have to. Any help on getting me started will be appreciated.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    When I do butts I do 4 with the setup you are using.
    I have loaded that much lump in with no problem.
    I have never gone 20 hours so I can't help with that.
    I put the probe in the one of two butts on the upper grid and checked the lower with my Thermapen when I peek near the end of the cook.
    I do check thing during the night as I sleep on the couch with the dog, watch tv, have a few beverages, doze off from time to time and check the Egg between naps. I enjoy the all nighters all by myself.
    Good Luck Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PapaB
    Options
    Thanks, JJ. This helps.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Get your dome temp to 250 and you shouldn't have to go 20 hours, more like 14-17. Also be sure to have an adequate drip pan, 4 butts generate a lot of grease. -RP
  • PapaB
    Options
    Thanks, AZRP. Good points.