Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver sauce

Options
Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any techniques for FoodSaving spaghetti sauce? I just bagged up 2 people servings in individual ziplocks and plan on pre-freezing flat, then FoodSaving in a large bag. J.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    why not do it just the other way around? I mean put each of the 2 person servings in a small FS bag, let it freeze and then seal and then put those in a ZipLoc bag?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • brain-game
    Options
    I usually freeze in 1qt tuperware containers then vac-seal the block. Same thing basically. I've looked at the more expensive vacuum chamber machines but just can't justify the cost. I think that's the only solution for vac-sealing liquids.

-Atlanta, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    to each this own, but instead of freezing in Tupperware or whatever I freeze right in the FS bag - letting it harden before sealing. In order to keep the walls of the FS bag clean during the filling process I just cut the bottom out of a plastic glass.
    IMG_0924.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i freeze gallon size ziplocks flat, if using the small ziplocks find a box to stand them in or slde them in so they dont slide around, thats what damages the ziplocks. i never saw the need to spend the money on ziplocks for sauce or soups, they dont freezer burn like other foods do
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment here, but why would you want to vacuum seal any liquid? It's not like it's going to get freezer burnt. Zip Loc freezer bags are more than adequate if you take care to squeeze as much air out as possible. I have a commercial chamber vacuum sealer which does liquids easily. I just don't bother. I don't see the point in it and don't think there's any benefit in going to the extra trouble. Just my .02

Mark
  • fishlessman
    Options
    extra trouble and more money :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    I sort of agree, except in my mind I was thinking of liquids such as soups containing meats and vegetables which can too get freezer burnt.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if there is liquid in there making it wet theres no freezer burn, its a trick used by fisherman with fillets to freeze the fish with liquid in the bag
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    The only thing I use the vac sealer for is power marinating; when I want to marinate and don't have the time to do it the old fashioned (read slow) way.
  • brain-game
    Options
    Excellent point. I guess I was thinking of everything that I normally vac-seal. Chili for example will get freezer burn after a while. Don't really have any experience with anything like typical soups. Very glad you mention it though, I would probably have just vac-sealed everything.

-Atlanta, GA
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I do the same thing. Freeze, then seal.
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    I've frozen sauce before in containers not vacuum sealed and I get frost all over it. My sauce is kind of thick with mushrooms in it so maybe that makes a difference. The same with sauced pulled pork, that has liquid in it but will frost if not sealed properly. J.