Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Food Glove Preference

Options
Grilling Away in ?
Grilling Away in ? Posts: 100
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Those of you who use gloves to prep and serve your food. What type food dervice glove is your preference- Vinyl or Latex, powdered or non-powdered.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nitrile gloves beat both latex and vinyl. More durable, easier to put on, and better dexterity retention.
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Fidel does are the "blue" gloves right?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    My nitrile ones are white. -RP
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Most nitrile gloves are blue. Maybe AZRP's have been sitting out in the Arizona sun too long. :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Options
    Mine are purple.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    mine too. walgreen's. I think the ones from horrible freight are blue.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FYI - AT the top of the page there's a place where you can list Off Topic posts.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    The ones I have been using come from Wal-Mart and are vinyl. The powderless one give me more problems getting on if my hands are damp. The only vinyl gloves I've found are powderless. The advantage to that is not having to wash your hands when you slip them off.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Nitrile are my preference and are available in various versions depending on the expected usage. The blue ones are for general usage and act as a barrier to common liquids like water. The purple ones have a higher density and will stop most organic solvents for a short period of time. Both are good for food prep and the dexterity is superior to other types of gloves. Get the blue ones if they are cheaper. They will be fine.
  • CivilWarBBQ
    Options
    Color doesn't mean a thing. You can get Nitrile gloves in a rainbow of colors. In fact, if you buy them Sam's Club, the color may change from batch to batch as they will change their manufacturer occasionally when they make a better deal.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    It that had been my post, I wouldn't have posted it as off-topic. If you're an egghead and you're serving food to other people, it's pertinent. I also think that the information that the thread produced is valuable and helpful. Now, if the guy was asking about gloves and proctology..............well, then that might be off-topic.

Mark
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    Thanks- sounds like nitrile is the way to go!
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I also think this is right on topic!

If you get powdered, be sure to rinse the powder off before handling food.

Nitrile are nice because they seem a bit sturdier than latex. Also, I have not heard of anyone who has "nitrile sensitivity". ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Besides, he said it was OT and he told us what it was about. If you don't choose to read, well then, don't read.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Options
    Tactical error!

You wouldn't know that unless you are a registered member. Non-registered users can't see that forum, so why not do us all a favor and let us know who is the antagonist amongst us.
  • He wrote "OT"...I didn't.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    don't like the Sam's Members Mart nitrile gloves....to thin, always tear. Restaurant Depot carries some in standard sizes: S,M,L,XL. Wonder what Costco is carrying now.

guess I should have asked the Doc today at my annual physcal what glove he prefers...........would have taken my mind off the moment........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Sooooo, you were just being "helpful" then?; directing him to the Off-Topic forum? :whistle: Wuss.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tom,

The one that goes SNAP! :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Very well put and correct, it's a part of Egg-en. :silly:

Now, I have an appointment with my V.A. (Female nurse practioner) on Tues. Hope she has her gloves ready and yes, that is why I picked her. :woohoo:

Bordello
    No sesnse of humor here. :cheer: :silly: :whistle: :woohoo:
  • asianflava
    Options
    Nitrile vs Latex

They are both fine Nitrile costs a little bit more but it is a little stronger. I got Latex from a restaurant supply place in town for food. I'm not too sure about the Harbor Freight Nitrile gloves I have for food handling though. I use those to work on my car.

For me (you may be different) I don't wear the latex gloves for very long, they are worn then promptly thrown away. The added strength of Nitrile isn't a factor. I'd definitely stay away from those Glad bag gloves I've seen used.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    ;) Dat there be why I have a female nurse practioner. :woohoo:

She says, does that hurt, no, how about here??? I say try that other spot again so I can see. :whistle:

Old Bordello
    Making the best of a ??? situation. :silly: :lol: :woohoo:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You mean to tell me there is something other than welding gloves? :evil: !

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's funny in an uncomfortable kinda way.......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.