Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg into table...

Options
SeanB
SeanB Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Med. Egg for about a month and am loving it. I hated to fire up the gasser to cook some corn while the chicken was cooking on the Egg this past weekend. (I know the answer to this already...) Through this forum and the links I have come accross here I have been able solve just about all of the problems I have come across so far, but last night I cam across something that I have not seen addressed.[p]I finished building a table for the Egg, moved it in position, and picked up the Egg to drop it in the hole...hmmm...hmmm...aside from literally dropping it into the hole I was stumped. I started running through what I could do...rig a pulley system to the patio ceiling...no (no pulleys handy), get a couch cushion and put it on the shelf and drop the egg...no (wife would kill me), hook a strap around the egg stand on the table and lower it in...wait...how do I get the stap to stay...hmmm...will my hand fit..yes ok...so standing on the table stradling the hole I stick my hand down through the hole in the dome and put my hand through the lower damper, and holding the spring hing in the other hand for balance I gently lower the egg into the table.[p]I don't know if I could have done this with a large, and I am fortunate that my arm fit into the hole. I am sure that the proper way to do this is to take the Egg apart, but then I would have had to properly secure the spring hing and all of that stuff, so I chose the brute force aproach.

Comments

• Deetwood
    Deetwood Posts: 70
    Options
    SeanB,[p]Get a someone to help you lower it in there. My 120 pound wife help me lower mine into the nest.[p]Not real innovative but it worked for me.
  • SeanB
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]Yes getting the wife to help would have been a good option, but she was already "comfortable" and there was no way I was going to get her outside to help me...and being impatient I had to get the Egg in the table last night. :)
  • Coleslaw
    Coleslaw Posts: 46
    Options
    SeanB,
    If my memory serves correct, I put several blocks in the hole to prevent the egg from going all the way in. I was then able to manage the egg from the inside of the table by myself, sort of 'step' it down block by block until it was a the desired height.

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    SeanB,
    Good morning. I have a large BGE and I had the same problem. I did it, manually, as you did. I have noticed that some people have constructed a table that is open on the front on the top shelf, so you actually slide the egg into place. I can figure that then there will he a piece that you can put across the front to keep it in place. I would assume it is easily removed for moving. Just an idea for the future.[p]Louisiana Redneck

• ScottinKC
    ScottinKC Posts: 29
    Options
    SeanB,[p]The way that "coleslaw" mentioned (blocking it up and then lowering slowly into position) worked for me as well.
  • Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    SeanB,
    When I built my table, I made the top of individual boards, rather than one large piece, or tile. I put the table together with screws, then cut the opening for the Egg. After this, I disassembled 1/2 of the top and removed the top side rail, lifted the egg about 12 inches, slid it into position and reassemblrd the table. Note, a power screwdriver made this about a 5 minute task. Hope this helps. I planned this method from the beginning.
    Wyldwood

• SeanB
    Options
    Wyldwood,[p]My top is 3/4 decking so in theory I could have done this, but I would have had to build the supporting structure differently. When I talk my wife into getting the second egg I will definatly keep this in mind. [p]I like the step down idea also, but this way you only have to raise the Egg as high as the front shelf.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    SeanB,
    you could have used ice(h2o) either a block(s) or bags...put it underneath the opening...put the egg on top...wait awhile...the ice melts...lowering the egg into the hole...

• SeanB
    Options
    ranger ray,[p]You must have missed the part where I mentioned being impatient. :)
  • Jeff Brookshire
    Options
    SeanB,
    I took out all the internals which helped reduce the weight. My scrawny butt didn't have any problem dropping the medium into the hole of the table. I also had the top off.
    Jeff

• Unknown
    Options
    SeanB,
    I used a cable come-a-long and rope rigging.