Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Romaine Questions

Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My pop in law's 75th Bday is today. I am cooking some fantastic looking Australian Lamb Chops tonight on the egg.

I noticed some photos lately of some great looking grilled Romaine Lettuce. Could you please tell me how you do this? Time, temp, and preparations please. It looks like a delicious and simple salad that would go great with the chops.

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• I think it is cooked a lot by "Ross in Ventura", but here's the method:

Take whole Romaine heads (can split lengthwise in to 2 halves). Spray or carefully sprinkle olive oil all over, being sure to get between the leaves. Next do the same with a generous amount of grated Paremisean cheese.

Place on a HOT grid until the leaves begin to char, flip and repeat on other side.

I them cut off the base and cut the heads into 2-3 inch long pieces, toss with some balsamic vinegar and serve. Some leave it whole and serve.

Good luck.

You will shock your guests when you cook lettuce on the Egg! :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Kitarkus - Easy peasy! You can either half, or quarter the romaine length wise. Trim the root end just enough to remove the brown end. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, some salt & pepper. Grill direct, just till the lettuce starts to take on a bit of color. (maybe a minute a side). Serve!
    I like to drizzle with balsamic glaze, some halved cherry tomatos, and some crumbled feta or blue cheese. It's always a hit!
  • I like grilled radicchio even better.

The only thing I'd add to the tips above is that the object isn't to cook it all the way through, just to get a little char on the outside, the inner parts will still be crisp.
  • Kitarkus
    Balsalmic glaze....my interest is piqued! Do tell....I have the balsalmic...how do i get the "glaze".
  • What I do is half the romaine harts drizzle with Italian dressing top with Parmesan cheese and grill @400* or higher for 1-2min.
    DSC_0016-32.jpg

DSC_0018-27.jpg

Ross
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Does the cheese fall off or do you grill it cut side up? -RP
  • Some of it dose, I put cheese under the romaine leafs as well

Ross
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper. Grill until slightly charred.

036.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Slowly reduce in a sauce pan on med/low heat. (you can also check your market, they often have balsamic glaze bottled) I have looked for pics, but have not been successful. I add my toppings just before serving, after the lettuce has been grilled.
  • Kitarkus
    nice call on the balsalmic glaze....i reduced 2 cups down to 1/2 cup....then put in an old worchestershire bottle. I halved the romaine....put fresh parmesean in it...then used a squirt bottle to get the virgin olive oil between the leaves. When done...a sprinkle of the balsalmic glaze.....nice touch. I have a lot of the glaze left over....surely i can find some uses for that good stuff. Thanks all for the great (and quick) advice.

Jason

PS....the lamb chops were truly excellent and enjoyed by all.
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I haven't tried this yet but I saw this done on Good Eats the other day. Of course Alton was cooking on the stove. He put some red wine vinegar in a loaf pan in the freezer. Once he had charred the romaine/olive oil/parmesan on the griddle he used a fork to scrape up small shards of the frozen vinegar and sprinkled it on the salad just as he served it. So you've got the charred lettuce and parmesan contrasting with the icy vinegar. You should be able to do it with balsamic vinegar too. Sounds interesting and definitely out of the ordinary!