Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Pizza

Options
Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay eggheads, I am really excited about cooking my first pizza this weekend! I have never made pizza before and want to wade into the waters, so I am looking for recomendations on the best dough mixes, sauces, etc... At my local grocer they carry jiffy pizza dough mix and pillsbury along with some pre-made crusts. I don't have a publix nearby, but could possibly make arrangements for someone to pick up some dough there or at a fresh market. A lack of good markets is a detriment of living in a rural area. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.. I am really wanting this to turns out great...

Comments

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Roll Tide - I can't help on sauce (other than to suggest that I simply use good quality crushed tomato's, and nothing else), but I've posted recently about some eye opening, but simple advice I've received from a neighbor who is a fantastic Italian cook. I posted on dough specifically here:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=823120&catid=1#

There's a link in that post to the neighbor in questions Italian food blog (fantastic).

Basically - Make your own dough, it is super easy.
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
    i posted on pizza last night cooked mine right on my PS the first one came out good egg was about 550 600 the second one got nuked the egg was at 700 way to hot going for it again this weekend just pick up the pizza stone.... I used pizza dough from Publix and it was realy good. I was in the pizza buisnes for years and was very happy with it... carfull on the multi grain one seemed to cook much faster
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I did my first pizzas a couple of weeks ago. I basically used the butter and garlic dough from the forum cookbook only I used 2 Tbsp of EVOO in place of the butter. Easy to make and work with and came out great. The bottom crisped up nice.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Google Peter Reinhart pizza dough. it is excellent. his dough is made specifically for a hearth oven and will work in regular ovens too. The egg is essentially a hearth oven.

Here it is:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html
  • brain-game
    Options
    The best pizza dough recipe I've used (and I've only tried 4), is from Amy's Bread in NYC. Got the cookbook as a gift.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, definitely read the posts about creating air space between your pizza stone and the plate setter. I learned this the hard way. Had a few good pies and then black bottoms on the rest.

- Atlanta, GA