Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the forum - non egg cooks

Options
Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cook many different stir fries in my house. However as I have a stove that is more or less designed to do stir fries I do them on it. As more and more of us are doing stir fries on the egg, would you like to see my non-egg stir fry cooks posted or not? "OT-Yet another stir fry" or "non-Egg yet another stir fry" or simple "Yet another stir fry".

More generally, in your opinion, if the cook is interesting and eggable should it be posted regardless of if it was actually cooked on the egg?

Doug

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    A valid question and I know you don't want to get your head bit off for a non-egg post.

In my opinion, since most of us love getting new ideas that can be cooked on the egg, I see no reason why you can't lable it OT to let people know it's not an egg post, but it is a food post that we can all copy on the egg if we want.

I think it was a good idea just to ask and see what the response is and if you get your head chewed up over it, then you have your answer.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do wings in a deep fryer but still post pics and the sauce recipe because it can be used on wings cooked any way. -RP

IMG_1698.jpg
  • LoneStarEgg
    Options
    I just got a WOO 3 from the Ceramic Grill Store, which is also designed to hold a Wok. I am interested in your stir frys, maybe it will motivate me to get a CI Wok to use on the egg.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) Doug,
    I have used Egged/Smoked foods in indoor cooks and haven't gotten slammed (yet) on those posts. Others have posted non-egged foods with positive responses.
    I think most of us forum users appreciate good food in any form, and many of us "younger Eggheads" like to test a new recipe indoors before attempting on the Egg. Then, when that skill is transferred to the BGE, we feel more confident. As a "yearling," I would love to see some novel wok cooks, indoors or out. Kari
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I'm with Faith and Randy, nice of you to pose the question. Like Faith said, just lable it as such.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yearling? Pictured you in diapers. :laugh: :laugh:-RP
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I'd vote no. The reason is that it would be too easy to turn this into a general food cooking forum. If your recipe lends itself to Egg cooking, then cook the next one on your egg and show us.

Just my opinion.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I say post them. Why not? It wouldn't be considered OT either..IMHO. I mean I guess technically it would be OT but as long as something is provided that others can learn from &/or take an interest in regarding cooking, it's all good.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Cooking, eating, and food in general are my hobbies. if you prepared something you thought was great and want to share, then I am more than willing to look and learn from it. Great food is what brought us to the bge in my opinion, anyways. Everything I enjoy doesn't have to be cooked on the egg, but many could revise it to work on it.... I'm for it, but perhaps it could be labeled ot just for those that are sticklers.... Great question
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I mentioned Stir fry because I happen to have a device that is every bit as capable as the egg for doing them, so there is no reason for me to do it on the egg (charcoal is much, much more expensive that gas here). Most people would not have such a device and the egg is a direct replacement, the stir fry is directly transferable.

That said, I also want to say thanks for your opinion, I don't want his to be a general cooking forum either, the tricky bit is other than deep frying, all cooks pretty much could be done on the egg.

Doug
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    I would label it an "OT non-eggcook", those that want to look and learn from it may do so and those that aren't interested in a non-eggcook, can avoid it.....just my 2 cents
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    It is food (and can be done on the egg.) Go for it!!

How could that possibly be considered 'off topic' ;)

- Barry
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Post away. I would love to see them.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    hmmm. It's about 20 to 1.

Who do I see about changing my vote? :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Post it, please. It is on-topic as far as I am concerned. Woks just need a heat source, no smoke involved, so an Egg wok cook is basically the same as a non-egg wok cook.

Same should apply to bread baking, imo.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would sure like to see them Doug. Most cooks can be done on the egg anyway. There are couple of cooks I have done on the egg that I think taste better done in the house.

Hope you post them.

Kent
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Don't think there is any danger in this becoming a general cooking forum. Besides we have plenty of other issues.....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    post away, something to learn is always good. i wok on the stoves wok burner indoors and out on the egg, same cook, but the egg does get hotter which i do like. it is more practicle indoors for me though with all the ingrediants added during the cook. searing thai peppers indoors can be a mistake though, burnt lungs is no good :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I say definitely yes. I'd like to see them!