Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Brisket

StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, the brand new large BGE is on the back porch. Tomorrow I am planning a gastronomical extravaganza featuring Texas Brisket. My plan is as follows: 8 lbs of brisket, mustard, rub then cook uncovered over a drip pan at 225° for 4 hours. Then cover with foil and return for another 4 hours. Remove and let set for 20 minutes. Should be good I hope. Anyone see any problems with this plan? If so let me know right away. Any suggestions are entirely welcomed.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    StubbyQ,
    Honestly, I think that you can skip the mustard and the foil.[p]The recipe link below has never failed me. I made this two weekends ago and it was simply fantastic[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Elder Ward's World Class Brisket[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    StubbyQ,
    Four hours may not be long enough @ 225° depending on the cut of brisket. Also, you mentioned "cover" with foil... did you mean wrap it in foil? Wrapping it tends to seal in the juices and sort of steams the meat. Some say that is a good thing. Others prefer leaving it unwrapped because the Egg is designed to keep the moisture inside. The timing thing is the biggest concern. If you planning your planning gastronomical extravaganza for a bunch of hungry people you may have a riot on your hands. Start earlier and cook the brisket to an internal temperature of 200° and then let it rest wrapped in towels in a dry ice chest until your guests get restless. They will adore you.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• StubbyQ
    Well I meant covered with foil in the drip pan not wrapped. That's what the guy at the BBQ place said. You plan sounds better.
  • StubbyQ
    This looks good too. So many options with this Egg thing.
  • StubbyQ
    I meant good too.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    I guess I'd advise a little differently. Personally, I find brisket one of, if not the, most difficult cuts to cook. If you haven't tried it before, maybe something a little more reliable OR one you've done before, with good results. Then again, it just might be me (though I've read much the same on this board).[p]Pulled pork has never been a problem for me, for instance.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    StubbyQ,
    i never had brisket(other than corned)...anyway i made one yesterday...i followed the "elder ward" method...i didn't know what to expect but my girlfriend lived in texas for a number of years(she's the one who wanted a brisket) and is a brisket addict...she claims the one we cooked yesterday was the best she ever had!...i used a combo of mesquite and hickory for the smoke and cooked it indirect, used my bge pizza stone as a heat deflector(one the lower grid) as well as a drip pan...cooked it for ten hours at 200/225...i'm now a brisket addict too....we're gonna do another one next weekend ....thanks! and good luck ...ray

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    StubbyQ, if you want something good, cover the brisket with some peppered bacon. After 8 hours or so (I actually did closer to 12) that was some of the best bacon I have ever tasted. The brisket was good too. :-)